How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to provision existing Office 365 groups to Teams through Admin center or PowerShell.

When trying to create a team, an Owner of a 365 Group can be prompted to add Teams to that Group, but only once. After adding the first group they own, they are not prompted again. There is also no way to manually provision this service to existing Groups in the Admin center.

112 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Osborne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I expect lots of hi-fives via Twitter for fighting for this one. Coming soon, folks.

Suphatra

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark Zigadlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've tested this and it works in my tenant too.

$group = get-unifiedgroup -id "This is my Office365 Group"
    new-team -group $group.ExternalDirectoryObjectId

• Sudarshan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking on same lines to teamify an O365 Group using Powershell cmdlets, is there any plan from Microsoft to release it faster

• Tony Morrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to Microsoft Docs, this is possible using the MS Teams PowerShell module. All you need to do is type "New-Team -group <groupID>". The group ID is the "ExternalDirectoryObjectId" property from your Office 365 Group.

Put is all together now:

$group = get-unifiedgroup -id "This is my Office365 Group"
    new-team -group $group.ExternalDirectoryObjectId

I've tested this and it works in my tenant.

• Ana H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a high school district, we have to lock down who can create groups to a handful of users. Adding Teams functionality to a group manually is not really an option because we have 830 existing groups. Having a way to do this through powershell would be super helpful.

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra, we are still waiting for that possibility) Especially for PowerShell...

• Diane Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Powershell would allow us to automate Teams when provisioning an Office 365 Group. However, there are a few obsticles.

1. There is a limitation of 250 Teams which can be created by a single account.

O365 Group Deletion:
    1. A Microsoft Team created over an O365 Group remains in the active Teams. I'm still able to post conversations.
    3. Files that were shared with the group cannot be found. An error occur on the Files link is displayed "We can't get your files. We're working on getting them back."

Feedback and Knowledge Base