How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

2,224 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

444 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A change to TEAMS makes for me only sense with a skype (public) integration!!

• Dirk Suri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Millions of users worldwide are using Skype in the Consumer version. I cannot understand this ridiculous decision!

• Benny Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only just stumbled onto this after researching a potential date this was likely to be coming out and I'm shocked

By my understanding this feature was absolutely critical to the idea of moving away from Skype for Business and onto Teams as a consolidated platform. I've spent 12 months ensuring my users have moved away from using Consumer Skype as a business tool where we were unable to have any control over audit capabilities to something that puts us in a far better situation. I struggle to think how I will be able to convince them that they need to add a second tool (However much improved over SfB it may be) purely for internal communications when part of the problem would have been avoided by just letting them continue to use Consumer Skype in the first place which is unacceptable to me

Although this feature only has 455 votes at the time of me writing this, this feels like it has much farther reaching potential than 455 disgruntled administrators

The mobile connotations to this needs to be considered as well. Teams as was originally envisioned meant we only had to push one app to our users' devices and we could be confident they would be able to get the best of all worlds and they would be fully connected, but now we need to manage a second app but also try and ensure they are having the appropriate conversations within each app. Realistically we would need to prevent users from having internal discussions on Skype for Business to discourage this behaviour

We aren't privy to what this "priority shift" is internally, but I very strongly think this should be reconsidered. There is a very clear need for the capability of having video or IM conversations with individuals but that they not be part of any specific team in Teams, and forcing that conversation outside of Teams seems counter intuitive when Microsoft controls all of the related systems

Wow, wow! Microsoft!
    Your agent recommends not using Skype in a corporate environment - https://answers.microsoft.com/ru-ru/skype/forum/skype_windesk-skype_startms-skype_installms/%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD/081431ec-3ca2-4aad-af6d-3064ce36ff75
    and recommends using Microsoft Teams.
    But, you, however, reject the ability to make skype calls from Microsoft Teams?!
    I totally don't understand this.

Absolutely essential. It was one of our core reasons for moving to MS teams. We have loads of sales people who need to speak to their clients on Skype Consumer who don't use Teams or SfB.

• Bartek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider returning to this problem.

I understand that there is a FREE TEAMS, but I can not force clients to use a different application to communicate with us.

SFB must still exist to remain in contact with customers who use "ordinary skype"

• Marco Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must feature to use Microsoft Teams in an Sales oriented organization. Without the possibility to reach external Skype consumer user, Teams is highly inefficient.
    As I can see this feature is still on the Roadmap, please make it a priority. Without that feature, we need to continue with skype consumer.

This means that Teams will not be the promised single environment for all collaboration tasks. That does not seem to be in line with the advertised mission statement.

We have been using Teams for a while now but our customer service and project management users have to coordinate their communication on Teams and Skype (consumer edition) simultaneously because Teams does not support the IM/chat (with call function) with Skype consumer users. Please reconsider this decision.

• Chamingoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many users or customers are using Skype in the Consumer version. I cannot not imagine why this has been declined! SfB does it. Teams should integrate all the best features of SfB. Slack and WebEx Teams has it too. So Teams, a Microsoft tool, will not be able to do it? Difficult to understand...

We want to upgrade from Skype Consumer to Teams but many senior members and the directors board are reluctant to, as then they will need to run two platforms. One to contact SfB and Teams contacts, and another to contact suppliers and clients who may not have the subscription software. If that's the case it will prevent our, and others adoption of the software.

I was of the impression that Teams was a collaboration platform that was meant to simplify team work and make it more efficient. It would be ideal if I could do most 'chat' communication (Outlook, Skype Consumer, SfB through Teams, so that I have one "communication/collaboration management" program. Otherwise it doesn't simplify things, but rather makes it more complicated and less likely to be adopted in the long term?

• Petr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So the typical working day will look like switching between two IM clients, Teams and Skype. One for internal, another for external communication. Am I right this schizophrenia is not going to end?

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you want customers to use Teams as the communication tool but have not provided the ability to communicate with external Skype users. Thats a bit backwards! Especially when many organizations use this service for client communications, HR and sales meetings.
    When will this functionality be available? Otherwise its pretty pointless. We will stick with Slack!

• Steen Kirkby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like the integration with consumer Skype is coming very soon.
    From the Office 365 roadmap under "in development" features:

Microsoft Teams - Calling Support between Teams and Skype Consumer
    This is one of the SfB calling capabilities coming to Teams. Support for 1:1 Skype Consumer Calls. This feature is targeted for availability by Q2 CY 2018.
    More info
    Estimated Release: June CY2018
    Feature ID: 24209
    Added to Roadmap: 10/24/2017
    Last modified : 05/01/2018

• Kristin Miltner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, glad to see our feedback matters. I don’t get it, Skype and Skype for Business already does this, doesn’t Microsoft own that tech? Slack lets you do this. I thought Teams was MS’s answer to Slack?

• Jared Pickerell - Troy Public Schools commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do hope that the feature team will reconsider this! How are we supposed to migrate from Skype for Business to Teams when we loose a major feature like this? Not all business/people have Skype for Business (or Office 365/Teams) but many that don't still have consumer Skype accounts. Not gaining Skype (consumer) federation means losing contact with those business contacts (or having to resort to us using Skype for Business/Teams AND a consumer Skype account to communicate.

• Henk Thomassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep. Our Sales people keep showing me PPT decks to convince me that this feature will be there (and also do this with customers), but I am not sure if Microsoft will clearly announce when they withdraw something from the roadmap that was there earlier. Also, the question - what we should be able to tell our customers - is not just whether there will be any kind of integration/federation, but also what modalities will be supported (just presence/chat, or also audio/video; peer-to-peer only or also conferences). Public IM connectivity for Skype for Business has undergone a lengthy evolution process, where features have been added and removed over time. It may be too much to ask what exactly MS is planning for in the long run, but would be nice to know if there are plans at all.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like it is declined (sadly) Suphatra's answer below is an old one but the question was why it no longer applies. For reference here is what mark said that she refereed to:

Mark Noble commented · March 14, 2017 22:22
    Seems to integrate with SfB already... and SfB integrates with Skype. Interesting decision... maybe after they get the Federation issue worked out?

Feedback and Knowledge Base