How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

2,213 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

440 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kapil Pershad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

721 votes to far. Lets say that is 5% of the actual user base that needs this feature and will not migrate to teams without it. That's 103,968 teams. Lets say each team has 3 skype users. That is now 311,904 MS Office accounts. Multiply that by the average license cost and you have a million dollar mistake.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a vital function of S4B/Teams to Standard Skyper users - please reinstate

We used Skype for Business to stay in contact with our customers using regular Skype. So this is gone now and with this our Surface Hub is now unusable... We really need to have this feature included in Teams, so that we can communicate with regular Skype users!

There are multiple user case scenarios for this requirement, it is simply fundamental to the ubiquitous success of Teams. Not having the capability within Microsoft own ecosystem is flawed. Skype is the worlds only true international UC network and with China recently blocking Skype as it was progressing into a social network product; it forces those international IP address to IP address communications between suppliers distributing product from China to use Wechat and similar networks. Microsoft have previously removed Skype WiFi and the open standard third party integration into phones. TVs etc. Don't hand over the requirement gap when you have the perfect solution in your grasp... (example: China blocks Skype downloads in China, Office365 adoption is low in China. Solve the issue with Chinese companies subscribing to O365 to continue Skype for convenient international business communication, grow a market, dont throw it away). the UC market is worth $7bn per year in this specific market

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature we will keep using skype ... and primary GoToMeeting.
    changing from skype to teams has to be cancelled.

It is extremely inconvenient that we can't have this feature embedded in Teams. Now I need to have Teams and public Skype running as not all my clients use Skype for business or Teams...

• T Keitsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that as long the public version of Skype is going to be the primary MS collaboration service for the public, the need is going to exist to be able to communicate between those too different environments.

Some of the customers I am working with is not going to accept, as of security reasons, that they have to CREATE external users in their environment to be able to enable a simple chat communication with the public users.

I know that there has been some problems with the federation and not all customers are using it but for those who need it, this will be a dealbreaker.

• Gerard Fernandez Gancedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a collaborative tool discriminates against users it ceases to be collaborative. It is cumbersome to have to register an external user to a team to communicate. The situation is further aggravated when a user with a Mac system can not communicate with a public Skype user or with Teams or with Skype for business

As stated in many other comments, please restore ability to communicate with External Skype users without need for guest account. It is onerous to force external users to register as guest to communicate with us. We must now use Consumer Skype Microsoft Teams has dropped an important Skype for Business feature.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is supposed to replace S4B with feature parity.

Why is this declined if S4B supports standard Skype user integration? It would need this feature to reach feature parity!

Teams doesn't even yet support external S4B contacts as I understand it, so both features need to be implemented!

• Arijit Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is required to access public skype contact from Teams. Maintaining 2 things is not a good idea. One more thing, Teams chat member count should be increased(currently it is 20).

• Dustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By moving to Office 365 our account was migrated to Teams by MS. We now can no longer communicate to out side Skype Consumer users. Unless MS is planning on migrating current skype consumer users to a new platform that will allow this Teams to Skype consumer to work...this is a major deficit in function and usefulness for our company.

• Jan-Hendrik Benter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed to replace Skype for Business. It looks strange to keep both Skype for Business and Teams running in an organization.

Why would Microsoft not allow Teams users to contact public Skype contacts after the migration? Our organisation currently does this with Skype for Business silly mistake if you ask me.

I assumed this had already been completed based on the previous roadmap. Now not only is has it not been completed, but the functionality has been cancelled...

This seems like a really odd decision based on how much our organisation uses this integration. So much for feature parity with S4B...

Started planning for S4B to Teams migration, stopped right away, when discovering that public Skype will not work with Teams. This is a showstopper for our organization.

We are having a hard time already enforcing that users do not use their personal accounts for business purposes. This is a major blow in this policy. HR is starting using their personal Skype again to talk to the candidates. Sales uses it to talk to customers (90% of them do not have Teams account, but they have consumer Skype). WHY? It worked in S4B. Please add it in. Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base