How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

2,224 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

444 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am guessing engineering has declined this since as a whole MS Sales teams still use Skype for Business and haven't noticed they can't contact small businesses or individual contractors directly in Teams.

• Sebastian Hähnel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now im working on a concept paper for a customer. Now reading that Skype consumer interop is not supported in teams is a real bummer.
    The customer is willing to migrate his whole PBX to Teams. But he heavily depends on Skype consumer.
    I know this is the reason the customer will choose to Stay on Skype for Business (hybrid) and legacy PBX because of that. Potetial Loss of 4500 Phone System Subscriptions for MS.

Why do you always kill good ripe products in favor of beta versions?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Microsoft. Please suggest how to explain this to company management? We need at least a workaround how to communicate with Skype users.

I am curious why this was declined. The idea was supposed to be for Teams to offer everything Skype for Business did and more, but this is a significant loss.

• Orestis Karras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to communicate outside organization, with plain Skype users.

So, that feature must be added ASAP to Teams, otherwise get back Skype for business.

• Pankaj Singh Bundel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really bad experience. Our client communication is now dependent on skype instead of Skype for business. We not using team just because of this

• Rick Beemsterboer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The stupid things is that with Skype consumer our employees cannot register new accounts anymore since it's MSA accounts only nowdays! MS Tenant/Office365 users just can't sign up with their corporate email adres. New employees are just stuck to talk to our customers.

This really leave us/Office365 users completely in Limbo!
    Should the whole world upgrade to Skype for Business/Teams overnight or so!?

It's really unacceptable this situation they left us with. the request should at least be in the backlog!

• Matt S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. It appears Google is becoming the better place to doing all the work. Skype and integration with teams would have captured share here.

Then Teams is even less useful as Skype for Business. We have a lot of contact with people around the world that uses Skype, without communication from Teams we can't switch.

Please reinstate this feature, if S4B can do this, why not Teams? Skype Consumer is widely used in business. Can't move users from Consumer to Teams subscription if they suddenly loose all their external contacts! Multiple messengers are inconvenient for most.

• Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same, just one other client want stay with Skype for Business because Teams lacks this option.

• Dmitry Sumaneev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team communicates with different clients, most of them use Skype. As a result a major part of our team is resistant to migrate to Teams. Please put this feature back under consideration.

• Roberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame. Please reconsider this decision, most of my "technologically advanced" customers uses a free skype account (and I'm not the only one in this situation); without the possibility to contact them, MS Teams is like a sort of bloatware!

To move to Teams and remove S4B this feature is mandatory.

Or maybe the Skype (consumer) will also be discontinued????

• Roberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame. Please reconsider this decision, most of my "technologically advanced" customers uses a free skype account (and I'm not the only one in this situation); without the possibility to contact them, MS Teams is like a sort of bloatware!

• Nima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature we cannot use Teams. Because most of our communication is with external (private) skype users.

• Jacob Waeduemasor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also very interested in the arguments for declining this. Can't think of any good ones so please enlighten us!

• me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a joke. How can you replace Skype for business which can communicate with both with a platform that doesn't? How are my users supposed to communicate with clients who use Skype? They're supposed to use their personal Skype accounts? Makes no sense.

Feedback and Knowledge Base