How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

1,955 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

388 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Arijit Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is required to access public skype contact from Teams. Maintaining 2 things is not a good idea. One more thing, Teams chat member count should be increased(currently it is 20).

• Dustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By moving to Office 365 our account was migrated to Teams by MS. We now can no longer communicate to out side Skype Consumer users. Unless MS is planning on migrating current skype consumer users to a new platform that will allow this Teams to Skype consumer to work...this is a major deficit in function and usefulness for our company.

• Jan-Hendrik Benter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed to replace Skype for Business. It looks strange to keep both Skype for Business and Teams running in an organization.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would Microsoft not allow Teams users to contact public Skype contacts after the migration? Our organisation currently does this with Skype for Business silly mistake if you ask me.

I assumed this had already been completed based on the previous roadmap. Now not only is has it not been completed, but the functionality has been cancelled...

This seems like a really odd decision based on how much our organisation uses this integration. So much for feature parity with S4B...

Started planning for S4B to Teams migration, stopped right away, when discovering that public Skype will not work with Teams. This is a showstopper for our organization.

We are having a hard time already enforcing that users do not use their personal accounts for business purposes. This is a major blow in this policy. HR is starting using their personal Skype again to talk to the candidates. Sales uses it to talk to customers (90% of them do not have Teams account, but they have consumer Skype). WHY? It worked in S4B. Please add it in. Thanks!

• Richard S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore ability to communicate with External Skype users without need for guest account. It is onerous to force external users to register as guest to communicate with us. We must now use Consumer Skype Microsoft Teams has dropped an important Skype for Business feature.

• Manuel Lobeiras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization has a lot of communication with end users and needs to talk to them regularily, and we are obviousely not the only organization with this need.
    I hope Microsoft can reconsider this feature or upgrade its users with a new communication tool able to communicate with Teams.

We need the Microsoft Teams communicate with External Skype Consumer User. Not every our client are using Skype for Business and we cannot force them to purchase or register as guest to communicate with us. At the end, we will just use back Consumer Skype because Microsoft Teams cannot do what Skype for Business can.

• Dan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this declined? The goal was to move Skype for Business functionality to Teams. This is key capability for many organizations. #reopen

I really NEED this feature for the company I work for!.. I HATE having to use the home version of skype AND MS teams to be able to chat with some people we work with. It is stupid not to work with us as we pay you.. PLEASE reconsider and put this on your roadmap.. I don't care it it takes 6 months to do.. it would be MORE then needed and appreciated.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really NEED this feature for the company I work for!.. I HATE having to use the home version of skype AND MS teams to be able to chat with some people we work with. It is stupid not to work with us as we pay you.. PLEASE reconsider and put this on your roadmap.. I don't care it it takes 6 months to do.. it would be MORE then needed and appreciated.

• Julia Sheehy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am getting pushback from my organization on migrating to Teams, even though I shared Ignite announcements and the (hundreds of) articles on the roadmap plan with them. Stuck on Skype and this missing integration step is a handy excuse for change-averse people. Odd that the marketing juggernaut of Microsoft doesn't recognize this blemish. This request to integrate with public Skype users not only seems reasonable and helpful on both the consumer and Microsoft sales side, but there doesn't appear to be a security risk flagged in making the connection. I can only wonder that the feature team declined it because they are swamped and/or there is something else in the works (Kaizala) muddying the waters.

I fully agree. This is a vital part of our S4B (even though it was buggy, it did what it needed to do). It's a must for Teams, as mentioned earlier in this discussion.

unbeliavable, forced to upgrade from S4B to Teams and we are not allowed to use it to contact normal skype users when we were able to do that with S4B?
    Discarded so we must use two clients? Set an option to allow\block connection to Skype as we were able to on O365.

GG, this plus the costant heavy memory usage of Teams = moving to slack

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this option is not available then what's the point of choosing Teams over Slack, Ryver or the like? Having to run consumer Skype (for our clients and other external partners) in parallel anyway due to the missing integration kills this purchase decision for my organization.

Declining and ignoring this request forces staff to use personal Skype (consumer) accounts to communicate with contacts outside of O365.

Pestering clients to use guest access is not going to happen either.

Probably the votes to this topic will skyrocket once organsations are forced into Teams to discover a vital line of communication is missing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base