How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

1,342 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

282 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This latest change to the roadmap is a huge letdown. Our company communicates with hundreds of members who are consumer Skype users and this integration is a big deal for us. Having to use Teams & SfB makes it more difficult. Hopefully we'll get more information about this priority shift.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most wealthy companies in the world can’t hire a few more developers?? Seriously??

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow.... I've been pushing this as a big bonus because we use Skype consumer to communicate with our members. Under back log would be one thing but back to review? The only way I see this being even acceptable is if the "Public" Teams rumored to come out is to replace skype.....

I think users should decide the Skype version they want to use. The Bus-version is for company's not for most of us.

• Daniel van der Zee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@warren I don't see anything called consumer federation on the road map you linked to - I also get 0 hits on "convergence".

• Alejandro Sumano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is annoying to have skype and teams in separate applications. Since many of my contacts do not have teams and it is not very productive to have two chat`s (business skype and teams). But it would be fantastic that they could merge them and from there emerge a more productive skype

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to have consumer skype integrated would make migration to the teams platform 100 times easier. We want to migrate groups of people, and not having consumer skype integrated (which we use for business) makes it very difficult to migrate.

• Bert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Skype for Business are to be integrated with Teams, that would take would take care of this request in the end?

Or alternatively create an embedded/integrated ability to link the meeting from within Teams directly to both a) meeting notes & b) screenshare.

Regardless of which option, the ability to record the screen, etc should be allowed.

Basically, integrate skype for business (everything) into Teams functionality.

• Daniel van der Zee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the exact same issue. Quite a few staff are happy with Skype and see no reason to switch to Teams. To make matters worse is that we don't have a centralised IT department that maintains staff workstations, or can mandate the tool of choice.

• Juan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Teams is to replace Skype for Business; VOIP Calling, MMS & SMS features are a must!

• Mark Lutz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will not be able to fully deploy this until we have the ability to interact with external users. We need to collaborate with consultants contractors and even customers. Skype integrations is required at least. Adding additional chat integrations would also be very helpful. This cannot come as a surprise and since it is already in Skype for Business I can't see why this was not addressed prior to release.

• Havenn Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I honestly see a lot of people sticking with Skype for Business until it's completely deprecated if the ability to chat with people on the consumer version of Skype from Teams and vice versa isn't added.

• Julian Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be good. BUT it needs some careful implementation. It would be disasterous if Skype were integrated without the ability for central admin control over who can allow Skype integration.

For the majority of our groups, we would not currently be able to allow Skype integration due to information governance issues. So we would need to have the ability to turn it off for a default setting and for admins only to be able to turn it on for specific teams.

Otherwise, we would not be able to use Teams at all.

• Henk Thomassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is expected that integration between Teams and Skype for Business Online will increase. The integration between Teams and Skype for Business On Premises (which is currently zero) should also increase. This should include Enterprise Voice, i.e. integration between Teams and the Enterprise Voice functionality of Skype for Business Online, then also the Enterprise Voice functionality of Skype for Business On Premises (e.g. Dial-in conferencing, dial out to PSTN numbers, switch a call or meeting from PC audio to a PSTN number).

• Christopher J Pola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: we see inconsistent results with Chat/Instant Messages being delivered btwn Skype users and MS Teams users. Is this a real feature or should we ignore the central 'Chat' functionality. What is the best practice? What is the formal roadmap for the products and the Chat feature being shared btwn them?

• Kuba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly, we also need to communicate with clients via regular skype since they are outside our network and sharepoint. Also they are unlikely going to change to teams. Possibility for calling and texting using skype would be great and would not make us use two communicators instead of one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base