How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

2,451 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

482 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jacky L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really common to communicate with out side vendors/Clients with consumer Skype, Skype for Business had this feature, and helped us a lot from isolating working accounts.
    This is a must have feature for me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good news. We have had such a difficult time to gain acceptance with Teams because it supposedly incorporates all relevant tools in one platform ... but then we had to tell the users that Skype is not included, even though it is a Microsoft product and specced down chat tool. Reducing the number of open applications, particularly Microsoft products, is the strategic approach of Teams.

• Dr. Simone Maier Begré commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would help us a lot to communicate seamlessly within Teams instead of having a separate application for calls. Many of our clients are SME, they use Public Skype, not Skype for Business.

• Chamingoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope the feature team will approve it. It is really needed because our HR team use it a lot for their recruitment meeting with people from other countries

This is good news, not sure why it hasn't been added before anyway. Simply some small companies that we have to deal with use consume skype. We have to then manage consumer skype installs as well as Teams. This would really help streamline things.

• Lionel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding Skype public would be a good step forward indeed.

Coupling with "Support for Private Channels", Teams would become a great tool.

Oh awesome news! Being able to connect with public Skype users from Teams would reduce the number of apps we all have installed.
    Hoping it get's through this time

• Joshua Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is fantastic! Having the ability to communicate with outside customers who use public Skype would seal the deal for us.

• Ansonmus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think integration with consumer Skype will take many users to Teams. I am working with Slack for several years combined with Skype for some other contacts. When Skype is integrated in Teams I probably will leave Slack and go to Teams!

• Jared Pickerell - Troy Public Schools commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They had better add consumer Skype federation and better external party (SfB/teams) federation if they want to get people off of SfB. (another topic altogether but they also need a simple/streamlined IM/AV Teams client version as well as going from SfB client too Teams client is way to complicated bloated/complicated for users needed simple IM/AV capabilities)

• Mattias V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why you wouldn't allow cross communications between Teams and the public Skype.
    Having the option to enable or disable this functionality would be great for everyone.
    Company's that don't want it, can just turn it off, but company's that are currently using the public Skype, or need to be able to communicate to customers, or in our case, suppliers and software developers who are still using public Skype accounts, would have a big extra reason to consider giving Teams a go.

As it stands now however, it's more a reason NOT to consider Teams..

I hope this decision will be reconsidered, and reverted.

Does MS ever explain their "declines"? I have an entire network on consumer Skype which will never be on Teams or SfB.

This component was one that needed a lot of improvement even in Skype for Business. I can't imagine why it's not even a thought for Teams. I really was hoping for the bugs to be worked out in an update or in this case new client. Very Disappointing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.