How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

2,217 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

442 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joshua Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Losing the ability to integrate with Skype has forced us to look for other communication solutions. C'mon Microsoft!

• Scott Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TEAMS WITHOUT SKYPE INTEGRATION LOSES A LARGE AMOUNT OF APPEAL, BETTER KEEP USING SKYPE, OR SEARCHING FOR ALTERNATIVES

• Philippe C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were in the process to move all our communication into Teams but the lack of integration of public skype put a big brake on our plan. Without a quick road map for this integration we will just drop Teams all together. This is absurd from Microsoft

• JohnGT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use of Teams (Skype for Business) to communicate with suppliers/customers/partners with Skype Consumer is vital. Expecting all those uses to instantly 'convert' to Teams isn't going to happen. This feature needs to be available!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TEAMS WITHOUT SKYPE INTEGRATION LOSES A LARGE AMOUNT OF APPEAL, BETTER KEEP USING SKYPE, OR SEARCHING FOR ALTERNATIVES

This would be a very important feature for a lot of companies which use Skype for Business to communicate with customers/partners with Skype Consumer!
    Can't you at least elaborate why this was declined?
    @all: Should we open a new feature request? Share this link so the reqest can get several thousand votes!

• Frank Schumacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BAD News, It makes no sense.
    We have to communicate with Skype/Skype for Business/MS Teams as well. Please support Federation over all MS Technologies.

• Omer Khalil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Back to S4B for me. I'd expect a replacement to be better than the product it's replacing. I haven't seen evidence of that with Teams... Not Impressed.

Completely crazy... I work part of my time for a company that switched to Office365. We used to do all our calls over Skype as they're about a 1000 Km away from me... Now they can't use Skype anymore, and Teams only offers a very, very limited set of features. Basically they can call between themselves and no-one else. No Skype users no nothing. Seems they can't even get back on Skype. I have teams and Skype, but my Skype calls don't get through to them neither. Microsoft, time to wake up guys ! This is completely non-functional, frustrating and does not make in sense in 2019 !

• James O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been said already but you're pushing people off Skype for business and into teams; SfB had good connectivity to other organizations which has become quite ugly in Team for example in SFB I had external contacts in my IM client; now teams is the client no external contacts. I could see presence for people in federated (or federate-able) organizations so I knew if it was a good time to call them. Gone. And there was a gateway to consumer skype
    "Public IM Connectivity" went back to OCS, was in Lync, and SFB and then … Gone. PIC was a server side thing and skype users could contact you and at one time looked like they were fellow lync/sfb users from an org with a funny naming convention.

This is strange, you can add someone with consumer Skype but cannot chat with that person. Why is this even possible when you don't even provide the functionality.

We where happy to start using Teams but this limitation bring alot of hassle, very much disappointed in Teams devs.

I understand you want to push everybody to O365 but from a customer perspective (we, the O365 paying customers) this is quite unacceptable. And seeing below we are not the only one. Why is it that Microsoft never listens to what we -actually- need. A LOT of my business contacts use Skype only, we cannot force my customers to start paying for O365! Do you really want us to switch to appear (or even whatsapp web / discord)? Only good service will make users switch, this is only killing your business!

This is an utterly bad joke. How do you even consider Teams has the same features as Skype for Business???? Well you might decline that feature as well as we might decline to use this garbage.

The Teams client is absolutely horrible and buggy and is absolutely NOT ready for general use. We were forced to switch from SFB to Teams and every user is complaining loudly and asking that we switch to free Skype immediately.

I will join all the others in saying that this limitation is the one thing preventing our organization from making a full transition from Skype for Business to Teams. We have a large team of salespeople that use Skype for Business to contact customers/clients that use consumer Skype since they do not belong to an organization with Skype for Business or Teams, and as long as this limitation continues to exist, we simply cannot make the transition to Teams that Microsoft is so aggressively trying to push. It also makes Microsoft's statement that Teams is 'feature-parity' with Skype for Business a bold-faced lie.

Feedback and Knowledge Base