How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

1,087 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

249 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anthony E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add another voice, migrating from S4B to Teams (and therefore, moving away from Slack, which I'm sure is Microsoft's goal) will *only* be possible if Teams supports calls to skype consumer. If Teams becomes a forced upgrade, without this feature, that would be a complete non starter.

• Craig Chiffers - blog.chiffers.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with others here who have reported that many of their customers do interviews via Skype, and having integration between Teams and Skype would be very beneficial, and would save customers from having to use the Skype consumer client along side Teams.

• Ewoud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news! My collegues keep asking me why it isn't possible to communicate with Skype for Consumers. Many, many of their suppliers and clients don't use Teams of S4B. That's why the adoption of Teams is really low over here and they keep using Skype for consumers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. We were considering migrating from SfB on-prem to SfB-cloud, but if there's going to be a forced upgrade to Teams in the future, that becomes a complete non-starter unless this feature is implemented.

We have numerous users who were promised they could use SfB to talk to clients who are on public Skype. Putting them in a position where they could be "upgraded" to Teams, only to have that upgrade remove key functionality would be a very bad idea.

Many intakes are done with customer skype accounts. Need the possibility to communicate with peronsal Skype accounts as soon as possible. Otherwise a migration from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams is useless.

• Nick Kenyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just migrating from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams, and now cannot communicate with our 3rd party Developers who all use Skype. Please sort this out ASAP.

Very important this is brought in, seems pointless move for us to migrate to teams and this cannot be done. Nearly all businesses / clients have external skype accounts which renders our team accounts useless until this functionality is brought in.

Need to bring in external call recording as well while you are at it.

• Jacky L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really common to communicate with out side vendors/Clients with consumer Skype, Skype for Business had this feature, and helped us a lot from isolating working accounts.
        This is a must have feature for me.

This is good news. We have had such a difficult time to gain acceptance with Teams because it supposedly incorporates all relevant tools in one platform ... but then we had to tell the users that Skype is not included, even though it is a Microsoft product and specced down chat tool. Reducing the number of open applications, particularly Microsoft products, is the strategic approach of Teams.

Same here. We definitely need to be able to communicate with consumer Skype users !

• Dr. Simone Maier Begré commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would help us a lot to communicate seamlessly within Teams instead of having a separate application for calls. Many of our clients are SME, they use Public Skype, not Skype for Business.

• Chamingoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope the feature team will approve it. It is really needed because our HR team use it a lot for their recruitment meeting with people from other countries

This is good news, not sure why it hasn't been added before anyway. Simply some small companies that we have to deal with use consume skype. We have to then manage consumer skype installs as well as Teams. This would really help streamline things.

• Lionel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding Skype public would be a good step forward indeed.

Coupling with "Support for Private Channels", Teams would become a great tool.

Oh awesome news! Being able to connect with public Skype users from Teams would reduce the number of apps we all have installed.
        Hoping it get's through this time

This is fantastic! Having the ability to communicate with outside customers who use public Skype would seal the deal for us.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base