How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Nested Teams and subchannels

Could it be possible to create teams within teams. For example, we have a Development Team at our company which consists of two sub-teams, tech support team and project team.

I’d love to be able to have a “home” top-level channel for my project team, and then have sub-channels for each project that we are working on.

978 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rhys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

This request has been reviewed and declined by the feature team.

You can continue to up vote this topic as well as leave comments. Depending on the ongoing feedback, there is always a chance a topic will be revisited based on user demand.

-Warren

129 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • R2notD2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love SUB Teams. We have many departments and divisions where we need a division or department wide group team but then we smaller teams divided under there that would benefit from that more focused team

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we use teams on a per Customer based. Channels = Project for said customer. being able to nested channels / sub channels would allow us better define each team working on a project. i.e Engineering , Production, etc.
        the lack of sub channels is a big drawback for teams at this time

• Tom Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for sub-channels. This is a feature that would help keep things organized. We create a team to group people together. That group then creates a channel to reflect an organization. Organizations have sites and this is why we would like to have sub-channels. It can get a little messy when you have an Organization with 5+ projects happening at different locations/sites. Please add this simple, but powerful, feature. Thanks in advance!

• Jason Adcock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be incredibly helpful for project-level discussions. I appreciate the previous matrix organization comment, but this is even more fundamental than that. There are many reasons why one team would want to hierarchically organize discussion and collaboration, such as sub-task discussion under different projects, different projects for different customers, different deliverables for different projects, etc. Nesting materials and resources (files and folders in Windows Explorer, notebooks and pages in OneNote, etc.) is such a common way for teams to create organization and structure; please reconsider this feature.

• Ralph O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our projects almost always have many subtasks. Therefore, we absolutely need the function channels to subdivide. This makes sense just for the sake of clarity. However, it is indispensable to clearly delineate areas of responsibility in a project.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub-channels for distinct projects would be so helpful in terms of management and organization. Sometimes, we have a small minority group of our team dedicated to one workstream and it is easy for items to get lost in the overall stream. Please reconsider this request.

• Richard Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful for us. Sometimes you want your data organized where a subset of the members of a team have access to a channel but not all members. Like Managers, but only senior managers... or developers, but only for internal devs not external ones.

• David Woolterton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just started to use Teams. On the one hand it has good features, on the other hand it really does not go far enough.

If Teams is going to be a serious management tool for an organization then It does require hierarchy with proper permissions for control.

There is often many times where you do not want a member of a team to see everything which is published.

This would be a good opportunity to incorporate SharePoint into Teams. One tool and one place to goto.

Teams good tool, but could be so much better.

• Arturo Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case, this feature will be useful for @ mentions. While I do want the complete team to have the possibility to browse through a channel, there I sometimes I just want for specific people to pay attention to something.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For large project teams where there may be distinct sub topics requiring dedicated conversation threads. There is the choice to either organize around a multiple Project hierarchy which has administrative overhead or have many channels at the same level.

Whatever the case it does not seem straight forward to follow a single conversational thread on a particular topic within channel.

Assume Teams has been designed for use on small projects where there is less organisational complexity.

• Shanto Goswami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been using Teams for over a year, and found this to be a sorely needed feature. In our situation, we are working with projects that require a specific job code. For our use, each channel is a project (and has a job code), but each project would need multiple sub channels as well to handle the different tasks related to the project. We would LOVE if we could 1) Create Sub-Channels, or 2) Nest Teams.

We have several health care clinics who have been forced to migrate to Teams, yet can't setup subchannels or nested teams (based on varied dispciplines).

• Nigel Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I already have two screens of teams and I need a way of grouping them. If you cannot have teams with teams could there be an indicator in the team record to group or theme the teams.

Hierarchical teams with access controlled sub-channels would be a very powerful feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base