How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Connect with "Groups" conversation in Outlook

I was surprised that conversations within Teams doesn't show up inside the conversation thread in Outlook Groups. Please consider at least connecting the "General" channel with the Outlook Conversation.

470 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Shawn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thank you!  ·  Warren responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback.

We are considering a number of ways to better integrate experiences across Teams, Outlook, and other apps. However, we don’t have any specifics to share on this request.

-Warren

54 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No updates in almost a year on this issue.
    Besides the new feature of automatically hiding the Group feature when creating a new Team.

Since part of the Group features is integrated with Teams (i.e. file shares in General), I was seriously dumbfound when I learned about Group messages IS NOT synced with Teams messages.

I mean, how are we to convince the Outlook die-hards to even consider Teams when they can't access the old conversations?

The only way would be to stop using Groups cold turkey and ignore the old conversations (or have some poor guy transcribe the content to a Teams channel by hand).

This is a big stumbling block trying to get a non technical team on board for using teams.... things like this hare huge blockers to adoption and make buy-in really difficult.

• Sophie Hannachi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not really agree. I think conversations must take place in Teams ... and not in Outlook. What is the aim (except having conversations dispatched in different places....

Planner "buckets" and Teams "channels" should integrate so comments in a planner task nested in a bucket is a comment in the relevant Teams channel.

• Mike baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

having a separate group conversation thread that doesn't appear as a channel in teams is starting to give us a lot of negative "we should go back to Slack"

• Gary Bampton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a significant user adoption challenge. Having created Teams from existing Groups and adding in a tab for the Planner, any comments in Planner appear in the Groups in Outlook. Trying to get users to buy into Teams when the conversations appear in Outlook defeats the purpose. Teams has the potential to be a single pane of glass into core O365 apps but is shooting itself in the foot if Groups conversations force people back to Outlook for internal comms.

• Julian Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen that people want their Team's chat threads don't appear in the conversations in Outlook, and Vice Versa the Outlook Chat Threads need to appear in the Teams chat. I have found that if you are sharing a task from Planner with the Group and the Team - then the updated comments on the Task are replicated in both the Conversation in Outlook and in the Planner Task in Teams, and if you add to the comment in the Outlook Conversation Thread it also updates the Comment in the Task Update pane.

It also generates a rather annoying and unwanted email which I can only remove with an Outlook Rule to delete all emails sent to the entire Team.

I assumed that the two bidirectional sync would work, so this is a vital update required to make the experience seamless please

• Mark Burland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of the comments here are absolutely spot on. Like verbatim what I am thinking. If complete strangers can look at and use a product and end up thinking the exact same things, why can't the dev teams at MS also?

• Paula Wu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is expected. Please keep the history.
    It should be possible and it should be an easy task for MS professional support team.

• Christian Schäfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree. Having separated conversations in the Outlook Groups and in Teams makes no sense. We never used Groups before Teams was introduced and naturally I assumed that in my Outlook I could see Teams conversations and/or just forward mails to the team. Turns out this doesn't work!?

• Bo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One major issue is that comments in MS Planner are sync'ed up with Outlook Conversations, but not the Team General Channel. If we are tracking projects with Planner, then Teams essentially becomes useless as a conversation repo.

This is pretty bad. Merging the two conversations would be one way to start, but I think given the ease of Teams, it might be good to remove the legacy Outlook Groups conversation altogether and to provide a more seamless experience between Outlook and Teams.

• Laurent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best lure to MS Teams is that it has integration with Outlook. Without this feature it is a hard/complicated sell.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

extremely confusing choice to split conversations
    the worst part of it is that users assume that it would connect, and that's where errors and miscommunication happen.
    thank you for making us look bad/stupid/inefficient!

• jp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

users automatically go back to slack with this kind of masterful decision, well done, this will end like groove and MS phone

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We finally begin to get user adoption of Teams and find out the conversations are isolated between Outlook and the Teams app. This will just disconnect conversations rather than bring them together. Users are starting to fall back to blasting out to distribution groups again because their conversations go unnoticed in Outlook groups.

• Lee Kowalinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree that this is a problem.

From a Teams user pov,

he's been invited to a Team and goes in and sees all the neat features for conversing and file sharing in the various channels.

Then, sitting back in his web mail (which right now, is the majority of his day - hopefully Teams will compete with this soon) - he notices a colorful section below and one of them has the name of this new Team he's now a part of.

He clicks and sees a chance to converse there too, and tries it - and then the chaos begins.

Any of Dave's suggestions would work for sure.

Here's one more:

Allow the creator/owner of a Team the choice to either show or SUPPRESS the display of a Team's group in members' mail interface.

I feel this will do the trick - as most times - owners will be recommended to Suppress.

Of course the only remaining feature of the 'old' Group life' that's worth preserving may be enough to keep the group visible - and that's the Group Calendar.

So, MS - one more suggestion:

Somehow, please offer a viable 'TEAM CALENDAR' feature in the TEAMS APP - that integrates with members' own calendar. (BTW - a Calendar as a Tab is not a viable work-around - too clunky .)

THEN - I give you permission :) - to put the 'old Group' presence into some 'back-room' somewhere - where only the owners can get at - for Admin purposes. Since, as we are all constantly reminded - all the time - a group is merely a list of people and its main purpose is to control access.

Thank you - MS - for your continue efforts to improve Teams.
    It's come a long way in a short time.
    Keep it going!
    Lee

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base