How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add ability to collapse images

Please add the ability to collapse images and gifs. I keep my chat open on a third monitor. It isn't distracting whenever all I see is text but adding images and gifs causes it to catch my eye as I'm working on the other monitors. Slack also has an option to have images and gifs shown as collapsed by default.

306 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dale Spoonemore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having an image collapse feature makes opening Teams during a meeting a game of Russian Roulette.

• Hans Erik Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Teams Feature Team - I see this is "Declined". /Please/ reconsider this request for adoption in the Product UX.

This is a standard feature to reduce distraction in your competitors products. For those of us coming from those products into Teams, this is a noteworthy departure, as previous comments here reflect.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    Rediculous that this is not a feature. Hipchat and Slack have one over on you and stupid that I have to use this **** program (opinion can be changed) for work.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this feature is really hampering our ability to get all of our professional users on board with Teams.

This should be a standard, table stakes feature. Slack understands that with gif integration come very large/annoying images and they often need to be hidden quickly.

Why doesn't MS?

Some team members like to post gifs and share images - for some people it's a fun way to communicate and they use it frequently.
    For others over use of images is an unnecessary distraction from actual work-related content and conversation. Please give us the ability to tailor how much we want to see images in our Teams conversations

Agree strongly with the idea of collapsing images with the option to expand on demand. It's not just an issue with monitoring ongoing conversations, but a real pain to scroll back through the history to find important information when there are meaningless images peppered throughout the history. Being able to hide them would make it much more efficient to review a channel's history.

• LK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also really like this. The company I currently work for has been using Hipchat, which allows having all images, web-excerpts, etc collapsed in a chat message by default (customisable setting).

It makes it a lot easier to quickly scan messages without large images and web-page excerpts all over the place.

We have been evaluating Mattermost as an alternate solution as well, it also has the ability to do this.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams need to give users a lot more control about how they lay out and view their work. This is an excellent example.

Definitely a MUST HAVE feature for me. I hate seeing gifs and images in my feeds--the gifs especially as some cycle too quickly and give me headaches/nausea. It is a necessary feature for accessibility as some people would need it for medical reasons.

Slack has the ability to enable a setting to collapse by default all gifs, images, and links by default. I am someone who hates seeing gifs as some repeating images cycle too quickly and give me headaches or nausea. I prefer the ability to expand the gif/image/link if i think it is relevant to me.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is distracting. I've looked for ways to delete pictures from a chat, but it doesn't seem to be possible. Collapsing them would be even better, because then they're still there, I know they're there, but I'm not constantly looking at them.

• Simon Dann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a feature already!? Not being able to collapse images or embeds seriously hampers my ability to actually see anything in the chat.

Why was this not an MVP requirement? I see it was marked as "planned" on March 13, 2017, and as of today it's not even in development yet.

• Joseph Sorensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to get the team to use Teams, but some stalwarts claim this functionality is keeping them from using the platform.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.