How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Links/attachments in chat

If you attach an item to a chat it will be saved in the files section of the channel. But if you are chatting about a document and you want to reference it you do not want to save it to the channel as it is already in another folder of the SP Site. To create a copy in the channel does not make sense as you are creating duplicates. a link would be the solution.

245 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to roll out Teams across our workplace and have just stumbled upon this issue after noticing that a shared file didn't link in a chat group. Rather annoying. Any update?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? Six months later and lots of silly gifs all over the place.

• Turd Ferguson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be the ability to turn this feature off and/or filter certain file types from being 'saved' to the Files section when posting in chat; I constantly have to clear out all the silly gifs and memes and things that people link - and telling them not to do that isn't the answer - we need the technology to work for us not the other way around.

It should be possible to link to files in other SharePoint sites within the same tenant. If you fore example have site for document that are relevant for all in the firm, but a team want to link to it so they easily can discuss the contents. Now it will make a copy in the channel, therefore the team might be missing when the document is updated.

• Monte Achenbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At a minimum, if Teams is supposed to be a collaboration tool, Sharepoint should be an attachment option in Chat. Now you have only OneDrive (personal files) and Upload from Computer as options? Not seamless or intuitive...

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just discovered this as well - I would like to link a file on our server with a path url

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to "mention" (link to) a document that is already sitting in a standalone tab, although we understand you love creating duplicates with OneDrive track record (:

• Werner Faber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Links occur on MS Teams, but we haven't figgured out why.
        This happens without any comment, the user who causes them doesn't even notice it at first.
        Would be nice to know under what circumstance Teams will add a link to a document stored in the team as a new conversation to that specific team.
        I know one can add a link intentionally, but then one has to acompany the conversation with a comment.
        This does not occur with the entries we are seeing.
        It almost looks like Teams logs that user X has altered the linked document, but not all changes cause the link addition to occur. So this is not consistent.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For our company it is a key feature that a network path to a file or folder in a chat post is "clickable" (Skype already has this feature).

Any progess on this? Should be able to start a chat about documents from meetings and 1-1 chats that do not store a copy of the documents

• Peter Rosenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, and File URLs (assuming the notation : \\server\<sharepath>\<file>.<filetype>
        would be of great importance.

Peter

• Chamo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a very importance nuance in this one: we need a way to have items you attach to a chat be uploaded to an existing SharePoint Document Library, NOT in the default site SharePoint site that was automatically created when you created the team.

This relates to all people who do not want to use the default site SharePoint site that was automatically created when you created the team, including the following Uservoice submissions:
        https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16935565-enhanced-integration-with-sharepoint

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16982440-integrate-fully-with-planner-sharepoint-and-outl?page=1&per_page=20

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16930312-enable-integration-of-microsoft-teams-to-an-existi

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17731678-make-it-possible-to-remove-and-or-rename-the-defau#comments

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18465754-tag-files-for-searchability

This also breaks my workaround detailed below.

Here is my use case, which I suspect others are facing as well:

* I don't want our users to save their files in lots of different SharePoint sites, which makes it harder to find things. I want them to save their files in our existing SharePoint sites, not in the new SharePoint site that Microsoft Teams created automatically (accessed through the Files tab in teams)

* We have already created and used for years an awesome SharePoint document library with a taxonomy managed metadata and views everyone loves

* Therefore, in Teams, I want users to only be able to upload files to our existing SharePoint sites, not in the new SharePoint site that Microsoft Teams created automatically (accessed through the Files tab in teams)

Here are the problems I faced that Microsoft could fix, and the workarounds I did to get it to (kind of) work the way I wanted it to -- you're welcome, Microsoft Team users :)

Problem 1: When I add our existing SharePoint document library in a tab, it does not include the fields and metadata I need.

Workaround 1: Create a new tab not as a SharePoint site, but instead add it as an ordinary website, and put in the URL of your document library. (The UI is not ideal, since there is a left hand nav bar in teams I have to do more scrolling to the right to see all of the SharePoint Document Library view, but at least we can access our views and metadata.)

Problem 2a: I can't hide the default File tab. This means that, instead of going to the new tab I created above to get to our existing SharePoint site, some users will see the files tab and upload file to it, leaving a mess ("wait, did I add the file to my new Team file area or to my existing SharePoint document library?")

Problem 2b: I can't change it so that, when you click on the default Microsoft Teams File tab and upload a file, it actually gets saved in our existing SharePoint Document Library instead of the automatically created new Microsoft Team site.

Workaround 2: In the Team File area, I add a link that goes to the URL of my existing SharePoint document library. I name the link "Use this link to the place to save files." I think click on the top nav bar item Open in SharePoint, and from there I clicked on Site Permissions, and set Site Members' permissions to Read-Only.

Result: Users save their files in our existing SharePoint sites, not in the new SharePoint site that Microsoft Teams created automatically when I created the team, and users have full access to the taxonomy, metadata and views they already know and love from their existing SharePoint site.

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In one on one skype chats (within Teams) when someone pings me I want to be able to like their ping. Also, would like to transfer files. 10 votes!

• DarrellCWebster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra. We can create links in Conversations using Markdown. E.g. [text to display](https://linktotheresource.com). But that's a Power User / Dev way to create a link. Two methods could be
        1. Provide a link button, allowing you to select text and hyperlink it.
        2. Paste a link into conversation, select it and right click to edit the link display text or URL.

• Jeff Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I paste a link to a document on our server, the link does not work. For example, in a chat I might want to point a colleague to a document or folder on our server with a link like "P:\some folder\some sub folder" or "\\servername\foldername\file.docx". I have even created the link in MS Word, tested it there, and pasted it in a chat in Teams. When my mouse is over the link it changes to a hand symbol but clicking does nothing. Most of the comments I see here, so far, are about links to files within Teams but we need to link to other files and folders within our internal ecosystem.

• Scott Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree the ability to add a link in the chat window to a document already stored in the Files section of the Team is extremely useful. This is to respond to requests for info on the channel and you can then easily point them at the correct file.

• John Wildes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you have files already posted in SharePoint document libraries that are tied to Channels in Teams, if you link those files in a conversation, it makes a copy of them. it should just link them.

• Shawn Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. The biggest thorn in my side right now is not being able to include a link to the OneNote tab+page in a conversation to direct my team on where to take notes about a particular conversation thread. However, I can see how this will be equally as annoying when I am unable to include a link to a document.

The links that show up in the team chat when a tab is created are beautiful. Just need to allow them to be added manually.

• koftheworld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is absolutely needed. If we store files in the General Channel (or any other channel), but want to chat about them in another channel you can't just link it in a conversation. Right now you either have to: a) duplicate the file using either the upload or attachment command, or b) choose to make a tab for that document. Neither of those solutions are user friendly. You should be able to click the attach icon, navigate to the file under whatever channel it is already stored in, and then have it appear in the conversation as a link instead of the actual file (thereby preventing having multiple versions of the same file and saving on storage space).

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base