How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Button in Outlook to start a chat from an email thread

I should be able to easily start a chat from an Outlook email thread.

177 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hari shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My problem is that when I double-click on a user's name in an email message, the Chat icon is greyed out (Skype for Business), so I can no longer start a chat with someone from an email message thread.

We're on Office 365 ProPlus, and it worked fine before I went on PTO 3 weeks ago. I've installed pending patches, etc. since I returned on Monday. My coworker does not have this problem, he can double-click a user's name from an email thread and the chat icon is active and he can start a chat with that person (Skype).

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a cool feature for teams .. even if it was only the internal and not external users. It would be prime to allow both though.

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, expected behaviour should be that a chat starts in Teams - or at least that a choice exists between Teams and Skype for Business. In Outlook 2016/365 in Windows 7 Pro, the chat icon or IM link goes straight to Skype for Business - and if I log-out and close Skype for Business, the icon is greyed-out.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to initiate a Teams chat, phone call or video directly from an outlook email is absolutely the single most needed feature to streamline communications and take action. With so many collaboration/messaging platforms available, seamless integration and being able to initiate from outlook is a huge win and keeps users in the microsoft domain. It's a no brainer.

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A key functionality for me to move from Skype for Business to Teams without loosing visibility of what I chat with team members about mail related maters

• Ilya Gurin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I look at a contact in Outlook, there are buttons to email, call and chat with that person. We used to use a 3rd-party chat program that linked to that chat button. The contact view also showed people's online status from the chat program. Teams doesn't do either of those.

Beats me why a 3rd-party program has better interoperability with Outlook than Microsoft's own.

• Craig Chiffers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to click either on a webpage or email signature and start a teams chat.

Right now, Skype for Business allows you to create a sip:craig.chiffers@contoso.com link that when clicked will open your Skype for Business client and start an IM with that person.

It would be great if Microsoft Teams worked the same with with msteams:craig.chiffers@contoso.com

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost a year of review, please add this! This would be a seamless continuation of conversations and make for great collaboration.

• John Dyal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Please. Not "Chat" but a Thread in a Group

stretch goal: When an emails "TO or CC" list is only the team automatically transition the email as a Thread. Send button changes to "Start Thread" button with Email recipients match a TEAM. Copy email with link to reply as email if original email came from outside the team.

• Sameer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have the ability to start conversation directly from email thread

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And ability to create a planner task from a conversation - complete the flow!

In Skype for Business, we could start a chat which would reply to an email conversation and bring in the email for context. Would like to be able to do the same for teams, but able to choose if it starts a private chat or a team chat instead. The more we can integrate outlook and teams, the more my team will find themselves using teams over email - which is our goal.

I totally agree with that. It could also be to laucnh Teams by clicking on the "Send chat message" action if Skype is closed.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forwarding is great, but this is different and will result in more stickiness between Email & Chat. Users should be able to click on an email in Outlook and send it to a chat.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base