How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable threading of Connector updates such as Webhooks

We've just finished building a webhook connector that will be giving us work item updates from our on-prem TFS. This is very exciting, however, every update comes in as a new thread. This is less exciting. We need the ability for, once a work item exists in a thread in the chat, for all work item updates pertaining to that work item to be threaded under that initial message. Otherwise, chaos. Perhaps the ability to arbitrarily define and ID for each webhook message, and when the same ID is re-used, it becones threaded?

58 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yves Rausch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree that we need this! I connected GitHub and other webhooks and my developers start to QQ that every webhook starts a new thread!

• Magnus Hustveit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. I've been looking for something like this when working with powershell and teams integrations with webhook connector via this library I've hacked together:
    https://github.com/dizzi90/PoSh-MSTeams

Certainly MessageCards should be possible to refer to as parents for new messages.

• John Crumpton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! This is #1 on my wishlist at the moment. Rather than returning a boolean when we insert a requestMessage, return an ID for that requestMessage so we can reference it for future messages... a threaded message.
    Also commented on what appears to be the same request in another thread.

• Ben La Monica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to integrate Atlassian stash, and have the Pull Request events and comments go to a channel. That works fine, but they are all jumbled together and you can see about 3 events on a screen due to the insane amount of whitespace that Teams uses. Being able to send related items to the same thread would be much better.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need this feature. It's mandatory to keep automatic messages well organized and readable.
    Any news from dev team?
    Thanks.

• Elle Fie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I ended up dumping the formatted JSON to upload.json, then calling:

curl --header "Content-Type:application/json" -X POST --data-binary "@upload.json" WEBHOOK_URL

• Peder Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along Eben's note, I also cannot get webhooks to work, I'm always getting 400 Bad Request errors. I think TFS is trying to send a request with { message: { title: "" } } as its root instead of { title: "" }

• Wayne Ramsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great for the Jira connector and batch jobs that push multiple messages through

• Eben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Kyle, could I ask how you setup your on prem TFS to push updates to Teams? I have been having trouble getting it to push to a Teams WebHook. Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base