How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Make saved Outlook attachments visible to Teams

Saving email attachments to a team Sharepoint site (Outlook 2016, Save to Onedrive, Group files) leaves them hidden from Teams. This is because the attachments are saved to the team's Sharepoint main folder, which is not associated with a channel. This is confusing to the user, who wonders why the files do not appear in Teams. The user has to know to open Sharepoint and manually relocate the attachments to the desired channel after saving them.

One solution would be to expose channels in Outlook 2016, so the user can select the channel where the files should be saved.

Another solution would be to expose the Sharepoint main folder within Teams, so the saved attachments are visible without having to be moved.

380 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Edward McGuire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saving an attachment from Outlook should be a similar experience from saving a document from within Excel/Word/Powerpoint. You should get a list of your Teams and then the channels and then the folders to allow you to save the attachment wherever it needs to go.

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely required - seems like a really obvious feature. Saving to my local drive first is really annoying (and cluttering up my drive). Too long winded a process currently

This can not be to difficult to fix and it is so important for our users to get them to work in Teams in our organisation. We should not be forced to buy add-ins like "OnePlaceMail", when you guys can buy them…;-)

• Erik Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys!

Any status update on this feature? I have several customers asking for this feature in order to move away from email. Saving attachments directly to a channel in the interface is the key.

@product team:
    There's a great discussion and visualization of the solution here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/How-to-save-Outlook-attachments-to-the-correct-folder-so-that/td-p/199483

This function would help enable us to function and maximize staff use of MS Teams when could this be done

This is holding back the deployment to our Business. It may seem like a small thing, but storing emails into Teams is key and fundamental to ensure effective management of Client communication.

Incomprehensible that this is not possible. I can not explain this to end users

• Jacqueline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot understand how Teams and Outlook is not working together....Just the calendar, it is embarrassing and it is not fun to face all the users and companies we help to go live in Teams when they cannot save an attachment anymore in a user friendly way.. Microsoft, you really need to fix your mistakes now!

YES, pls do it, Microsoft! It is actually almost embarrassing that this is not yet supported.

• PamK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the files should be able to go directly to the subfolder within Teams.

Not only does it need to expose Channels, it needs to expose the directory structure (as in the Files tab) so that the attachment can be place in the correct directory.

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the "General" tab should be linked to the All Documents view of the library, not a channel. Then, the discrepancy between TEAMS and GROUPS that have not be teamified would be eliminated. Right now, clicking Files for an O365 Group via Outlook shows the All documents view and clicking on the similarly named tab in TEAMS for the General tab for that same O365 Group shows the contents of the General folder. While I understand the distinction and that there isn't any content missing, end-users DO NOT understand and think their files are missing. I'm getting tired of explaining this to them.

• Per Ove Sandhåland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree that this is something that should be native to outlook. Working with files is over 80% of the work being done with information. Handling files is very important for an good experience for the people of all competence levels in an organisation. Relying on costly 3rd party tools is just not good enough. Please empower people to do more!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base