How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Include notifications based on keywords.

We need to get notifications based on keywords. For example: I am a subject matter expert for SAP and I like to know when SAP is typed into a channel so I can offer assistance.

409 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Harry Hedger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom notifications based on keywords are also helpful when we want to ping a specific team without pinging everyone that is in their Team/channels.

Right now, to ping our Core Engineering team, someone has to @General in the Core Eng's Team. This results in a lot of noise for someone just idling in their Team. Instead, we'd like to be able to do @core or something to only ping them, and save channel wide pings for more global announcements.

• Adam Sifton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren, when will this become a priority again? We have a lot of use-cases within our organisation for this feature to be implemented, and it would be great to have some clarity on timelines for when this is going to be actively worked on as a priority.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this with Slack currently for notifications based on various systems - it alerts my phone when someone says the name of one of my systems, and then I know to look for something in that channel. Disappointed not to see it in teams.

• José A. Domínguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Warren, when will this move back up to be a priority? And while I am asking that question, how does a customer know what the priorities are? We are working on introducing Teams as a service to our community and this is something that they are accustomed to with our current offering.

Thank you,

José.

• Colton King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To throw in my support as well, keyword notifications are essential for multi-team setups. I work in a more specialized department and we're setting up a team and channel where anyone company wide could ask a question of anyone in our department. If we can have keyword notifications, each user could be alerted based on their particular expertise. This is a much needed feature and is one that I used in a different department (using Slack) before the company made the blanket switch to Teams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that should be done especially if you want to compete with Bloomberg IB messaging.I want to create a notification to my managers to highlight this issue needs to be escalated by typing the keyword - as we have so many messages/channels in teams.

This is definitely needed especially for people who work for global companies. I worked at Bloomberg previously & many people will use this functionality. what it would do is that ifd you write #escalate it will pop up on your screen and show the message.

I think you should reconsider this.

Shifts in priorities? Sweet does that mean we finally get an @RemindMe feature? Still more granular notifications are needed.

• Jeffrey Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to follow keywords is a much-needed capability in Teams. Our users want to know if specific features, environments, or projects are mentioned by name, but there is no way to offer that currently. We miss a lot of important feedback simply because people don't get notifications when a subject of interest or importance is mentioned.

• Patrick Boutin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments below. This would be very useful and should be moved up in the backlog. Please make it happen.

• Robin Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree on the critical nature of this. Having migrated from Slack to Teams, notifications is by far the stand out feature that is lacking. We have migrated a number of webhook integrations over, however, the inability to do @mentions as well as keyword based notifications makes it extremely difficult to distinguish between urgent and non urgent alerts.

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major issue shortcoming that's a simple feature of Slack. It's one of the biggest hurdles on our adoption of Teams. I certainly appreciate the communication, but it's an extremely large feature miss compared to Slack.

The ability to customize notifications is critical to our ability to use Teams. We currently use Skype persistent chat to manage service disruptions. Quick identification and resolution is critical to our business.

How this was missed by MS is beyond me. Pretty critical piece of functionality especially since you already have it in Persistent chat rooms and your competitor SLACK has it as well. Please add this to Teams ASAP.

This would be very helpful! We have 24 channels that will have a lot of activity, but 2 in our Team people only need to be notified when the term "ICP" gets posted in any channel.

• Tim Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the kind of feature that once you've had a platform (like Slack) that has it, it kind of becomes a necessity in any new platform.

• Fredrik Mellström (traal) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really help, because people sometimes misspell my name and/or nickname.

I'd like to add the different spelling varieties of my name that I have seen to a keyword notification list, so I know when people try to mention me.

• Karthik S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be a nice feature. I figure it is similar to setting rules for emails in outlook. As an extension, I would also ask to keep the notification for messages tagging me on the screen till I click any of pending notifications.

• Savi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At my company, we use Teams to share important updates, than sometimes need to be referenced weeks or even months later, but scrolling up to find them when 20+ posts are made a day is impossible, especially with the lag that causes scrolling to reset to the bottom after scrolling up to a certain point.
    Please institute a search feature that allows you to find threads/ posts based on date or keyword, or identifying factor that will take the scrolling from 5,000 messages down to a more reasonable 50.
    I just need to find information posted in June, it's now mid-August and this information is more or less inaccessible.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base