How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Team Templates

A team template!! Much like sharepoint document site or site templates that contain a specific layout and set of documents this would be amazing for a team template. We could deploy a team for each project we had that had a preset assignment of planner tasks and documents attached to it and a preset of channels that goes with that team. Could really make a big difference in the way we deploy and use teams.

1,016 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Curtis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christophe Chopin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team without a template is a short term solution. But with a template, it becomes a corporate solution to invest on. A template is a first must. The second must is the opportunity to decide where the documents will be created within your SharePoint to make sure that you keep managing and governing the created documents. Example given, if you mster your documents within sharepoint by metadata, you should still be able to do it for documents created from TEAM.

• Erik Berg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is in the plan Microsoft?
        Will this template include an ability to customize the provisioned SharePoint site with pre-configured lists and/or provision SharePoint site App templates for use in Site Content -> add an app?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, I agree completely - TEAMS is really good but having to recreate recurring teams/projects is a major problem. Thanks.

This is the major hold up in moving forward with Teams. We need to be able to quickly deploy new teams.

Please extend the precision on this discussion to include a Channel template. In a team it might be more appropriate to have a channel for each project and not a team for each project. I believe the channel limits are 250 however and there is no archiving mechanism yet either.

• Joe C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really keen on this feature, use case after use case for templates keep coming up on a nearly weekly basis.

Can you provide an update for this?

Please add this as a feature, the administrative work required on these apps needs to be addressed as much as possible, and being able to "clone" a team, or have templates, would greatly benefit everyone!!

• Karl Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Up vote for this overall approach.. Having the ability to create a team with a baseline set of channels along with a base line set of tab (at least for the General channel) will be HUGE! (yes CAPS and exclamation)

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Templates are a must for a company looking to roll out teams to help collaborate on projects with different management structures.

Ability to create custom templates for Microsoft Teams and offer them as options when colleagues create a new Team. This functionality is paramount to rollout Teams in any organization in a controlled and efficient way.

• Al Linke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We see a big need for this one. Different groups will use Teams in different ways. An engineering team for example will use Teams very different than a marketing team. For our engineering teams, we'd like to be able to define a set of default channels and tabs that tailor to their needs.

• Mak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you make the PLC minutes template savable so that you can save the minutes for each PLC meeting?

• Tom Hoglund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Templates are a must have for us (a 30,000 employee Microsoft consulting company) to be able to add value to our customers and generate revenue. We need to be able to create a template group with certain tabs, planner tasks, etc. Then copy that template group to a lot of new groups that get created over time.

Add this ASAP please!!!

• Andrew M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard using Teams in a construction environment without a channel template feature. Having already created twelve channels for our projects I'm tired of having to create the same 10 things. I know I always need a onenote for project notes, another for equipment, and then a bunch of tasks that never change! I'm surprised that templates weren't higher or more in demand. At the very least let me copy a channel.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once you have the team template setup allow a Clone team from the template!

Feedback and Knowledge Base