How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Relax browser support check

The current browser support check is too pessimistic and prevents some modern browsers from loading Microsoft Teams. For example, up-to-date Chrome on Ubuntu Linux is not considered a supported browser, even though changing the User-Agent string to Chrome on Windows allows Teams to load without any problems.

Please consider a) just letting the browser try to load Teams, b) using feature detection instead of the User-Agent string, or c) blacklisting known broken browsers instead of whitelisting if the User-Agent string is used.

288 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded  · 

This is still under review by the feature team. No new details yet.
    -Warren

89 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still under review? How many years does this have to be broken for such a simple fix? It's quite disappointing to see such easily fixed bugs and antiquated compatibility checks in a platform MS is actively steering people towards.

• Linux User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How on earth is this complicated, Microsoft ? What the **** ? it has been 2 years since the original query, and it has been under evaluation for 7 months now. It is not hard to implement at all. Is that how agile you are ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chrome uses Blink. Vivaldi uses Blink. Please for the love of the gods. STOP the browser detection.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Vivaldi. Just pop me a warning that it hasn't been tested in my browser, and you're still covered.

Could you please just remove the insane browser check right now.
        Then take your time to implement something which doesn't seem to be too high on your product backlog.

Come on, get this fixed. There is no good reason to block Chromium based browsers.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be expedited fast. I'm steadily losing my respect for Microsoft and any developers that work there. However, there wasn't much respect to begin with.

Idea submitted nearly two years ago, under review for two months, no visible movement and nothing on the roadmap ... simple fact is, some of us use browsers like Vivaldi for accessibility reasons (something Vivaldi is far superior to IE, Edge and Chrome in), failing to relax the browser detection from methods Microsoft themselves have recommended as obsolete for better part of a decade and enable support of modern compatible browsers via proper feature detection is locking users out of this tool - and having something that affects accessibility "under review" or "on the roadmap" in 2018 is just not good enough!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base