How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to archive channels

Would be nice if we had the ability to archive channels. For example: we created a channel for a specific project. Once the project is complete, we can archive that channel or at least move it out of the primary view. I could see the channel list getting large and clunky quickly with multiple projects many of which are complete.

Also, when a conversation in the channel is complete it should be archived or hidden.

5,595 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cory shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

337 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack has had this functionality for so long. We were just discussing that we thought this was something that Microsoft was working on. We have been waiting for this before pushing Teams out across our organization. Just frustrating.

• Lisa R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a prioritization standpoint, I would put "Move channels into other teams" ahead of "Ability to archive channels" because moving channels between teams would provide a work-around to *not* being able to archive channels. I could have an archived Teams space, reactivate it, move a channel into it, then archive the Teams space again. Not as nice/clean as just archiving the channel, but it would get the job done.

• Jeff Lyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly the reason that Microsoft solutions lack adoption & fall off the face of the planet so often. Ridiculous that this obvious oversight was made to begin with....Why would any organization want to delete a team but not delete a completed channel (aka project). Just plain idiotic. Now, Microsoft would rather ignore for several years the many many requests for that functionality. Indicative of their "take it or leave it, or build your own" attitude towards end users. If it weren't for Windows & Office, Microsoft would be bankrupt and out of business.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will second to that! Please hurry up!
        We can archive whole Team but not channel? Doesen't make any sense!

• Shaun Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a specific buisness requirement for this.. Colleagues across different teams would need to collaborate when performing audits. It doesn't make sense to create a new team for each audit, a separate channel would be the ideal solution.. Archiving the channel once the audit has been completed would clean up the Teams workspace. What's the latest update on this, where is this on the roadmap.. Timescales would be appreciated, so we can feed this back to the business, this would help user adoption, if we can map feature requirements to users cases.

• Paul Lenehan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep also need this, Channel lists getting lo long and need to Archive to keep all Clean and tidy without loosing data

i saw someone asked for this back in 2016 . . . . really? Topics change every 2 weeks in the Agile world - maybe more. Can we get this feature asap!

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another feature with 12+ months of "Working on it" and then a sudden de-prioritization, then 5 months of silence.

Please can an admin provide an update on this - we've only been using teams for a few months and already the channels list is getting unweildy, we have many clients and projects on the go, including small and medium scale projects which we create a new channel for - we need to be able to archive these otherwise we'll have to find a different solution...

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Checking back into this. This is a must. My team handles many small to medium scale projects, and it makes much more sense to create a channel to dedicate to those projects than a whole new Team.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need his in my life right now. pls include archiving in teams.

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this feature too! It'll become impossible to work effectively in the future without being able to archive channels.

Team is getting big and big with all the new channels. We need a way to archive the channels.

We need also a possibility for local archiving of the channel/project for safety reasons

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base