How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to archive channels

Would be nice if we had the ability to archive channels. For example: we created a channel for a specific project. Once the project is complete, we can archive that channel or at least move it out of the primary view. I could see the channel list getting large and clunky quickly with multiple projects many of which are complete.

Also, when a conversation in the channel is complete it should be archived or hidden.

4,993 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cory shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

273 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the status on this one? This is functionality we could really use

In our case we're a law firm structuring clients as teams and individual cases into channels. When cases close we need to be able to archive (or move) the channels so teams don't fill up with dead cases.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really difficult to navigate through your teams and channels when they are not used anymore but need to be kept for history reasons. We need to be able to archive channels not just teams. Seems the only option is to make more teams that can be archived. Not ideal.

• Jason Holic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this for organizational purposes. Our channel list will continue to grow within each team, and navigating through the list becomes cumbersome. Even having the ability to move channels to an archive "team" would be helpful.

• Neil Lang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important facility - we would like to be able to archive entire channels/conversations, rather than having to copy to, say, a word doc to preserve

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? We really need to be able to archive channels! We set a new one each week for that week's topic and now we have duplicates since we've been using Teams for just at 1 year.

• Lke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We REALLY need the ability to archive channels!
        Or even the ability to move a channel from one 'Team' to another. I thought we may have a workaround by creating an Archive Team and then moving the completed channels across. Sadly, I don't think you can! :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see how Microsoft can claim that their systems/platform supports GDPR compliance when such a basic feature as selective retention/deletion of information is unsupported. This makes Teams unusable in day-to-day operations, and high-risk in terms of compliance.

Microsoft: either publicly admit that using Teams will undermine an organisation's GDPR compliance or get this feature sorted out asap!

• Eric Melkonian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely critical for our organization. We are considering rolling out Microsoft Teams for our organization, and this is one of the biggest items that is preventing us from fully buying into Teams as the one stop collaboration platform for our Org.

• Renee Leonard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization is newer to Microsoft Teams but this is one of the first questions I asked and see a significant need for. I also vote to move this up on the priority list. Thanks!

• Shawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost 5k votes now and this has been hanging around since Nov 2016. When can we expect to receive this functionality.

• Jacek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intensive use of Teams ( I hope this is the intention of MS :) ) drives fast to a large amount of valuable but 'archive' information. A way to distinqush between both, current and archive information would be very helpfull.
        Whithot this or simmilary function Teams can't be used as a 'grown up' software ...

Archived channels is something we (our organization) loved about Slack and we'd love to see it implemented in Teams. This would clean up the interface while allowing us to access the historical data in those channels.

Our entire organization of 10,000 users has recently been upgraded from Skype to Teams, but this has created a mess in regards to documenting outage discussions, because we are required to include chats, emails, etc., from an outage in a separate tracking application, and there's no way to export, copy and paste unformatted, or anything else here. It's a major loss of functionality for us.

• Chris Mayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful, especially if we could still channel content appear in search results. We have a number of channels with valuable content, but that we wish not to be used again for various reasons.

This is a basic funtionallity we miss. Arhiving should be standard within teams. and not on a backlog.

• Lisa R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm disappointed to see this moved into the backlog -- it is inconvenient to create a new team for the same people every time we've got a new project. Six months in, the long list of inactive project channels is an annoyance -- I've been renaming channels for completed projects to start with something like "zzArchive" so they get sorted to the bottom of the list -- but the it's getting progressively worse as we continue to use Teams.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is becoming a show stopper for us, we can't figure out how to organise teams and channels in our organisation because we can't archive channels... and there is a limit of 250 teams. We're not even a large organisation, can't imagine how hard it must be to use this product in a big company. This is far from an enterprise level tool so far.

Guys - archiving channels and or moving channels to different teams is a must. Channels become old or need o move for multiple reasons; channels topics go stale, priorities move to a different team, history's need to be replicated in new locations for different departments. this seems basic - and essential. What's the 411?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base