How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Link group to AD Group

Why we cannot use our group in Active Directory to create group in Teams?

152 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Veronique shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, I wanted to check in on this ask because it’s died down since GA, and also because the ask is not totally clear to me.

Right now, we provide a way during the team creation process for you to select an existing Office 365 group. Are you asking to be able to do this same thing, but outside of Teams?

Do let me know!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Invite users to a team by using an AD group. This works.
        2. When I add users to AD group, they are not invited to the team. But I think they should.

We have a bunch of role-based AD groups, and using them with Teams would be a great advantage.

It's fairly straight forward. We manage an on premise AD and sync to Azure AD. We manage all user permissions with AD groups. Anything other than that quickly becomes unmanageable. So we need to use AD groups to assign rights to teams so that we can have total visiblity of a users's rights in the event of audit, account deactivation or change of duties. Specifically too, it should be possible to assign different AD groups different rights in a team, ie not a 1:1 relationship between the team and the AD Group.

Seems like such an obvious link to make after adding azuresync.

1 :1 synchronisation between ad security group and a team is a must have functionality

• Leonardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more thing.
        I am gonna assume this feature will come in the future :).
        So.. By the time you implement this feature, please make sure we have the ability to merge team/groups. As right now we already have created a team consist of our Active Directory Group(duplicate group in Office User Group)

• Leonardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is regarding having Active Directory Group, as a default created group on Teams.

As you may know, being in MS environment with Active Directory, we set people into groups(which essentially Department in my organization).
        This will be a perfect group to start Teams with, instead of creating new group.

Well of course we still need all the functionality of current Teams creation, but having a button with a function to create group based on Active Directory make our life easier.

After all if we see from Office Portal, the teams we created on Teams shows up as a group, along with groups from Active Directory.

• John Berlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a definite need for us as well. Being a hybrid environment, we need to maintain AD groups. Going through a process to add new team members to both an AD group and a team would be quite a burden and take a portion of an FTE.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will add my voice to this thread, as this is a very basic idea that should have been implemented from the start. Please allow the use of AD groups to add members to a TEAM!!

We have location based on-premise security groups (i.e TorontoStaff, RedmondStaff etc). These get automatically populated by HR system and sync to AAD using AAD connect. We don't have on premise Exchange so group write-back is not an option.

We are noticing stale groups and also users are hesitant to be the owner of a group because they would need to manage membership.

If O365 groups/teams could auto sync with on-premise managed groups, it would definitely increase the adoption of O365 Teams. It can be a simple interface that would allow group owners to list groups that they want to sync from.

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to have the functionnality to use AD group for Office 365 Teams without having to use Office 365 Groups....

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would take the product to a new level. We currently have to manage two sets of groups, AD and O365 groups.

• Julie Peck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also like this functionality. We have AD Security groups for each project we run which gives the members access to the project's data in on-premise systems.

We would like to use Teams to enable the project teams to collaborate. To ensure consistent project team membership we would like to synchronise Office 365 Group membership changes with AD Security group changes so that if you are a member of a project, then you have access to all systems that the project uses.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a great on premisis AD group structure. Each role within a team is a group and all the role groups are a member of a role group that represents the whole team. For example

role_HRTeam_member <-this group represents the whole HR team and contains the following
        role_HTTeam_administrators
        role_HRTeam_Manager
        role_HRTeam_SLT
        joblogs@myorg.fqdn < this guy is 'just a member' of the team one day he might get a promotion and be moved int '_manager'.

Capabilities are assigned (printers, shared folders, distribution groups, etc) to the 'top level' group (role_HRTeam_Members). E.g.

acl_HRFolders_FullControl contains role_HRTeam_Members and is used to grant access to the shared HR Folders on servers
        prn_HRHPLJ4100_fullcontrol contain role_HRTeam_Members is used to grant access to the HP LJ4100 in the HR Office
        sw_HRSoftware contains the role_HTTeam_Members and is used by SCCM and AD to assign software and settings to the correct group of people.

There are also a separate Managers and Admins distribution groups that respectively contain all _managers and _admin groups.

As team members change, we modify one group and all the necessary changes cascade thanks to our nested group structure.

So what we need is to be able to make any of our (sync'ed) AD groups the foundation for the groups that drive Teams, and have AzureAD keep the memberships in sync with the group from.

Following the example above we want there to be an HR 'Team' and set its membership to keep in sync with role_HRTeam_Members.

Thanks

• Keyur Khandel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to add AD groups within a Team as we add Team Members. If any user is added to the AD group that user should be automatically added to the Teams and if any user is removed from the AD group, then the user should be removed automatically from the Teams.

• Anikke Bukowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra, we need to be able to prevent end users from creating teams, or adding anyone by any means other than an AD Group. Is that currenlty possible?

We are experimenting with teams and I find that the user addition to one via a distribution/security group is simple. My only issue is that is not dynamic. It would help if we just added/removed users from the group to grant/deny access to a team.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams need to dynamically sync with AD. It's a no brainer. The process is so convoluted at the moment.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base