How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Add generic @ mentions in each channel

Add generic @ mentions in each channel such as @here, @channel/@room to make it easy to notify all present members of a channel or all members of a given channel with one simple @-mention

92 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jordan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
thank you!  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Thanks for the continued activity on this ticket and showing me this new idea. Can someone please create a new UV idea and rally the troops to vote for it? I love the idea of @here — a good idea for the Presence team.

Note: You CAN @ tag a channel to get the channel’s attention and make it bold so people will look at the channel.

Thank you everyone and have a great Wednesday!

Sincerely,
Suphatra

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since we are currently using member action restrictive "Broadcast" Teams having users be able to @mention all owners (@owners) of the Team would help them draw attention to a thread that requires moderation/changes would be a very helpful addition!

• Tracy Alers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that @channel and @team are the same group of people is the root of the problem. Channels should be subsets of teams, and not aliases. Whether the channel is opt-in or opt-out should be a switch that is flipped at creation time, but the goal is to be able to scope your pings to only people who care to receive them.

• David Leslie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen a few of these requesting the same thing and it's either been ignored or misunderstood.
    We are aware we can @mention the team or individuals to notify them. We want to be able to @ChannelName so that only those following that channel are notified. Currently @channelname will notify the entire team. This would be exactly the same as @TeamName so what is the point?

• Damian Stalls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this too. Currently we have a Team with channels dedicated to customers. We also have a Team with channels dedicated to our service offerings. I would like to be able to @mention across teams which I think this generic @mention would resolve?

• Amit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to be able to do @mentions within individual Teams messaging.
    Sending John smith a direct message that includes an @channel-name mention. As a way to copy a team/channel on that particular message.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really, really like it if @here can be added to mention the current channel without having to type the channel name.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra is there also an option as suggested by Jordan to only give notifications to people that are not away (@here)?

• Edward Tew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to @mention different channel names as well.
    The use case is that I would like to create dynamic channels from our CI build process and @mention the developers that contributed to it and @mention the new channel in an announcements channel.

• Chris Moen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, having to do @team, then wait for the group to pop up, seems a bit silly. Ryver allows for @team (everyone that is a member of the channel) and @here (which is everyone that is currently active in the channel). I like that a lot.

Feedback and Knowledge Base