How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Windows app should stay minimized to system tray

The Windows app keeps appearing as an active app in my app bar, even after I've closed the app so it is only in the Windows system tray.

Apparently receiving a notification causes the app to jump from the system tray to the app bar - and that shouldn't happen.

92 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rockford Lhotka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

This feature request has been declined.

Currently if you have the Teams app set to run in the background upon clicking the “X” in the upper right, the app stays active only in the system tray. If you receive chat messages, it still remains in the SysTray.

However, if you get an @mention, the focus pulls it to the Taskbar. This is by design since you are getting directly mentioned and some action is typically expected. This is a key design element which the team does not wish to deviate from.

We appreciate the suggestion but will respectively decline it at this time.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion.
    -Warren

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"... if you get an @mention, the focus pulls it to the Taskbar. This is by design ..."

Once again we see the "Microsoft knows how you work better than you do" design philosophy.

Maybe this is what I want, maybe it isn't. Give us options to allow us to set things up to complement the way we work - don't expect us to change the way we work to suit Teams.

"No options" is not an option.

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really hoping this gets approved and implemented. Skype for Business does it, and I'm dying to have a fully-functional Skype for Business replacement.

• Travis Terrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it is quite frustrating for the Close button to simply minimize it to the taskbar rather than the system tray, as with most programs with "close button minimizes" behavior (Skype, etc).

• Vasil Michev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, if I put the app in tray, it SHOULD STAY IN THE **** TRAY. I'm tired of having to repeat the same action every time a notification fires up, I can only imagine how this would look like once the whole company actually starts using Teams.

Fix this behavior or at least give us an option to configure it.

• RogerB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hmmm. it does stay in system tray, and it should promote to app bar on chat notification. Currently if the app is in the system tray, and I receive a chat, i get a popup message, but, if I do not notice this at the time of the popup. there is no visible indication that it needs attention.....

• Florence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My issue is I can't use the "X" on the upper right to close the main MS Teams window. Clicking it once does nothing for me (seems like a bug).

• Simon Tocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had voted for this, then discovered just close the app and it doesn't really close, which is fine for me, it's worth knowing this before you vote. I admit it should do that skype warning thing on close, but hey.

• Junle Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vote up!

BTW, a simple workaround is to go to `%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup` and set Microsoft Team shortcut to run as *Minimized*.

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Teams needs a 'Hide when minimized' setting like Task Manager does so it doesn't take up space in the task bar when not being used

Feedback and Knowledge Base