How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to Control Document Edit Permissions

Currently when a document is added to a Team channel, all members of the channel have full edit rights on the document, which could result in documents being modified by too many people. Having the ability to make the file read-only to the channel except for the doc poster, or toggle editability by members of the channel could help doc owners share information without the risk of losing content to zealous editors in the channel.

81 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex L. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Warren responded  · 

Thank you all very much for the great response. The survey is now closed. The feature team will be reviewing all the data that was gathered and responded based on the findings.
    Again, thank you for helping us make Microsoft Teams the best it can be.
    -Warren

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Magnus Sandtorv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the link in the survey is wrong, it's the same link as the survey for Reporting Capabilities.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For awhile I thought I must have been missing something simple. Glad I ran across this post. Yes!!! We need ability to control WHO has editing permissions on these documents.

• Carrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! This is critical for us. Our files are view-able to many people and only the manager and two team leaders should be allowed to edit them. It is important for us to be able to set who has editing rights and who has read-only rights. It would not be helpful if only the person who posted the doc would have editing rights. This could be the default setting, but we would need to be able to add additional editors by name for each document, or for all documents, as needed.

• Richard Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great for the owner to be able to choose who can actively collaborate in the edit of a document (editors) and who can only view (viewers).
        Not wishing to take away from the capability of the desktop implementation of editors (e.g. Word, Powerpoint etc.) it would also be very useful to be able to prevent editors from using anything other than the "on-line" version so that we have real time edit collaboration and avoid the issues with one or more people trying to work on their own desktop version of it.

I might be pushing things a little here but to add to owner, editor and viewer roles it would also be useful to have a "comment" role where the person can't modify the document as such but can embed comments and see comments from others (I'm not referring to the conversation stream associated with the document - I am referring to the comments inserted directly into a document for review). This would be perfect for reviewing contracts and other complex documents where edit control is very important.

Feedback and Knowledge Base