How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Would like the ability to create a reminder or task from a message

In Slack there is an ability to click message options and set a reminder to take action on that message at some later date, e.g., remind me about this tomorrow or in 1 hour, etc. I think they use their "slackbot /" commands to create this reminder. In Teams, it would be nice to have this ability or to create a task to take action on a message at some later time. Thanks!

634 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tina Harkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

I really like the suggestion of creating an alarm on a message, so you come back to it. I’ve passed this on to our engineering team.

Meanwhile, here’s another feature you can utilize for the same purpose — use our “bookmark” button, which is in the upper right corner of every message. This will save that message or thread directly to your profile. To access your saved messages, just click your face in the upper left corner of the product. You’ll see a tab in the left rail that says “Saved.” This is like a list of little reminders.

Hope that helps! :-)

Suphatra
Microsoft Teams

72 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dan Rudman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Supporting the conversion of chat messages into actionable items and being able to remind yourself to look at something later on is critical. I've got team members who are going back to Outlook for what they deem as "important" messages because they want people to see it -- implying that people are missing critical things in Teams despite the "!" and despite all the other features.

In the end, simply clicking on a conversation and saving it to a bookmark folder named "Follow-up" would be good. Being able to categorize and re-categorize (e.g., from "Follow-up" to "Done") or integrating as James O said with Outlook Tasks would be outstanding

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Jason Tenpenny. I need notification - not only for myself, but notification for everyone in the channel, just like "\remind" command in Slack.

I agree with Jason Tenpenny - I really miss the reminder notification. Bookmark is good, reminder is better.

I like this idea, but also want the ability to view all saved messages and sort them in folders to find easier at a later date, particularly when those messages contain business decisions.

• Jason Tenpenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what the OP is looking for is a way to get a reminder notification. This is what Slack does. You can tell it to remind you in 15 minutes and it generates an alert in 15 minutes saying "you asked me to remind you about [text from the original message]". This would be very useful if I get a message to check on something but I can't do it right then. This would keep me from forgetting about it.

• Ludovit Gondkovsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SUPHATRA. I think he probably knows about your solution. Although it is necessary to have bookmarked messages in one place under you profile so you can find them inaces you forget where you bookmarked, (please don't take that away) IT would be more beneficial if bookmarked were also chat or team specific which can be used as a TO DO or TASK in that specific area. Perhaps making them a TAB on top would be great solution, or if they should be considered private bookmarks then perhaps a Bookmark BUTTON under each CHAT/TEAM tha would expand a side bard with bookmarks.

• Michael Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bringing the "Saved" recall out of the Settings pop-up and putting it on the main Activity - Chat - Teams - Files vertical ribbon would make this feature more convenient to use.

• James O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For businesses using a suite of Microsoft products, such as Outlook and OneNote, I would like to emphasize being able to create an Outlook task from a message in Teams, similar to how you can create an Outlook Task from a line in OneNote, would be very, very convenient.

It would especially be nice if implemented similar to how they are in OneNote, where you can control the due date when flagging it as a Outlook Task (today, tomorrow, this week, next week, no date, custom date). It also supports keyboard shortcuts (ctrl+shift+1 for today, through ctrl+shift+5 for no date, ctrl+shift+k for custom date). This feature lets the user keep all of their things of note and their due dates (reminders, if you will) in a single spot.

I can see Teams supporting its own reminder system for people who don't use Outlook, but please don't consider that an appropriate solution for your business users that do use Outlook.

Also, creating an Outlook Meeting based on a message, as Toby mentioned, would be nice.

• joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sometimes "reply" is not possible, it would be ideal to save/tag/highlight/drag to a visible folder to take future action.

• toby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion could be enhanced by the inclusion of the create calendar item, and offer to included the thread members as invitees.

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.