How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,480 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

415 comments

Comments are closed
  • Greg J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes need this function. sharing screens without being on a call is something we do frequently

• Wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one item is required for us to use Teams and would cause me to pull the entire usage. Please add this. I love Teams otherwise.

• Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just started our Teams roll out across our organization. Day 1 adoption meeting saw this exact question being raised by our first team's business manager. We are reliant on screen sharing in Skype and having to "work around" this by starting a voice call and muting it, is not an acceptable option. Please post an update soon.

• b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a non issue - with such an easy workaround available no one should be complaining... (Just start an audio-only call, mute if needed, and click the share screen button! Super easy. Let the devs focus on important stuff :) )

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have screen share capability with Teams. Come on MSFT... get this rolling. Please.

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this in the back burner when it's such a crucial tool for a lot of businesses?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for this ... this is one of the few items, where I have to look for lync/skype for business.

• Scott Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this out of back-log. We have a couple of influential operations teams who sit in Skype for Business P-Chat with people sharing their screen, all day, as part of their business processes. They are refusing to move to Teams if they can't share screen without audio. We need to move them off of Lync Server 2013 and Teams would be a great fit if it weren't for the screen sharing requiring audio. Because of the decision to keep this on the backlog, they are considering to look at non-Microsoft options. Their concern will be escalated to / heard by senior leadership decision makers. If you want to kill Teams in our environment, leaving this on backlog is one way to do it.

• Jacky L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

S4B has this feature, shound't be hard for Teams to have it as it shares codebase...I guess?

• Charles Chang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being on the backlog is terrible. I can't fully move the company to Teams because of this dependency. We have a lot of people in cubicles so we have to provide everybody headphones and have constant feedback for simple screen sharing. I can't understand why it can't be the same as Skype for Business. We will be using Skype for Business until this is resolved. This is crazy that it's not an important feature to be in the backlog.

• Brian Reese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had a collegue ask me about to perform this task yesterday. All she wanted to do was quickly show me a couple of line items in a pdf document. Please consider moving this off the backlog and into actively working on. Huge missing feature!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use this feature often to communicate with my coworkers on Skype, and would really love for it to be made a feature on Teams as well.

1 2 5 7 9 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.