How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,481 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

407 comments

Comments are closed
  • Brad Weir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone here too this is a feature that all my users are use to having, I simply can't switch my org to Teams knowing that I am willing removing functionality that they are use to using everyday. Teams brings a lot to the table, but all those advanced features are trumped by everyday users if basics like screen sharing without a call or another example is federation to Skype consumer.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone. Our business will not switch to Teams until this is available.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same pain point as everyone else has made. Without this we cannot switch to teams. Why are basic features that are critical business tools already in SFB shuffled to the backlog in Teams? Once again, Microsoft hobbles what could/should be a fantastic products, by neglecting critical real world functionality.

• Chris Mayo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed to move our organization fro SfB to Teams, it's really a show stopper!

This is the only reason why our company doesn't use Teams only! People don't like having to call people with webcam on to share a screen.

• e commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge problem for us when trying to coordinate across teams . Please fix

• Chris Parisi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one thing has kept us in limbo for months already. I don't see us being able to convert completely until this exists in Teams. Sure seems like a more widely used/needed function over many of the other items in the roadmap ahead of this.

• Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major blocker for adoption and rolling out through our organisation.

• valiant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please roll this out or 15000 user in my known Org is not jumping on Teams.

• Andrew Gold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I happen to love the Screen Sharing feature that is introduced with teams, however I should not need to be in a call to share my screen.

Many of my colleagues do not have PC Headsets & will call me on my desk phone, I ask them to share their screen & they cannot without being in a call; in a normal instance I shouldn't need to be in a call to share my screen similar to the functionality in Skype for Business.

I am very happy Microsoft finally removed the screen sharing bar from the top of the Screen which causes many issues when sharing screen & using Remote Sessions.

• Dave James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing what everyone else has said. This is very basic functionality. We will never get people off of SfB and into Teams until this is available.

• David McKowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this, install of Teams has created issues with login to SfB, want to migrate instead of giving up but may need to give up. HELP!

it been a month since the last update on this. Is this feature still backlogged is there an ETA.

Skype for Business has this why not Teams? I feel like we are moving backwards here technology wise. Our company is thinking about replacing Skype exclusively with teams however if it can't do this basic function of screen sharing, I don't see the point.

We could really use this. It is a glaring problem in our daily workflows and interactions.

• Elizabeth Beets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is absolutely essential to my team's daily job activities especially since we all work remotely, this is something we used several times a day with Skype.

Feedback and Knowledge Base