How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,480 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

415 comments

Comments are closed
  • Adam Belle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a simple port from Skype for Business... when you are chatting with someone, click the screen-share button to show them your desktop. Can't have people trying to pick beforehand... do I open Teams to chat or maybe Skype in case I need to share.

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm curious what the rationale is for not having this implemented highly requested feature , after nearly 2 years on the backlog!

While the current method for screen sharing is relatively functional, it's not readily apparent that the video call can do screen sharing. It's not terribly difficult once you know how to do it (place a video call, with video disabled and mic muted.) However, in my experience, the person you're wanting to share your screen with usually rejects the call the first time, believing it's an actual video call.

(I do appreciate being able share a particular window. Kudos to you for that. But seriously, my company is ready to switch to teams. This is the only real showstopper left.)

• Asa Fry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah guys teams is way better than Lync, great voice quality and it is SO convenient to be able to see conversations in chat rooms/channels when you are away, really cuts down on clutter and having to add people back into a meeting. However, this is a very common use case just now I was listening in to a meeting and needed to share my screen with a coworker and could not ... bit deal! Thanks for the great product I hope you can add this soon.

• David Buntin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this too. Here's my use case:

I've called someone on my cell phone or office phone (over the PSTN). While in conversation, I want to see their screen or share my screen. I open a 1-on-1 chat Window in Skype for Business and click the screen sharing icon. We continue talking on our cell phones, but look at the shared screen during the conversation.

• David Buntin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this too. Here's my use case:

I've called someone on my cell phone or office phone (over the PSTN). While in conversation, I want to see their screen or share my screen. I open a 1-on-1 chat Window in Skype for Business and click the screen sharing icon. We continue talking on our cell phones, but look at the shared screen during the conversation.

• Phil Halpern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You had this feature on OCS/Lync/Skype and you should have integrated it as it has always been used; simple and transparent to a business user. It affects adoption of Teams as a Skype replacement.

• Steeve T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nearly 2 years and still no update? This is the only feature stopping us from using Teams only. Please give us an update.

• MichaelF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the MAIN reason my company won't move to Teams. Sitting in a 1:1 in the same room and you can't share a screen to collaborate without placing a call, feeedback and muting issues and a mess. Seems like a major miss that this is taking so long.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Geez... It's been nearly 2 years since this has been suggested and it's still on the backlog? Move it to the 'frontlog' already! How can you have a collaboration tool without screen sharing?

• Vance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good day team,

Do we have any update on the timeline for this request? We heard it would be implemented in June and I just wanted to check in and see if its still on track?

Thanks in advance

• Amanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugggg! We switched from Skype to teams and now we can't screen share? This is awful. We used that feature multiple times per day.

• Chris Knudsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also i don’t get why this is in backlog.... Skype (consumer was better then Biz) has that function. Just add that to Teams. All set. It should be expected from a MS sharing product to be able to share content without a call

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this is on the backlog...what's in active development? This seems like a huge feature that is missing.

• Michael Gorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is totally a show stopper. We need an ETA on this feature ASAP. Looks like we won't be able to switch our 150+ users until this is implemented.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.