How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,481 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

407 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams really is an awful product. It looks like Microsoft don;t have a clue about which features people really need in a business environment. Difficult to write comments about Teams which don't have expletives in them - it's probably the worst microsoft product I have ever used,

• Larry Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this function available to Teams. Using Skype it is a very efficient way to discuss an issue in a quick ad-hoc share session.

• Venkat R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a showstopper from user perspective and users need it as pre-requisite for moving out of Skype for Business.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed before moving from SFB, screen share is used all the time

I am trying to migrate our organization from SfB to Teams- this is the only blocker.

• Peter McDermott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredibly helpful and is one of the only reasons I still keep Skype for Business on my PC...

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needed, chat / IM are primary forms of communication at our company. need ability to quickly share screen during these interactions.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me today sitting physically in a conference room with development team, "let me share my screen and show you" - oh wait, can't unless we all join a voice/video meeting. Sorry, without being able to just "share my screen" with the participants of a chat or channel - this is broken.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that this is in the backlog when it is the 6th most requested feature is ridiculous. This should be an active project immediately. Being that the customers are the stake holders in this product, the fact that we are heavily requesting a feature, but it is still in the backlog is insane. This needs to be resolved ASAP. This should not be very difficult considering that the functionality is already in Teams, just restrained by having to be on a call. PLEASE fix this severe limitation ASAP.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the recent announcement that Teams has reached feature parity with SfB, will this feature be released soon?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutly need functional equivalence with SfB in this feature area - desktop/screen/app sharing on 1:1 chat and meetings.

Couldn't agree more. This feature (and it needs to work on the linux client/web app) is the one thing preventing me from moving away from Pidgin/Sipe/sipe-collab to use this as my main IM client

• Francisco Rivera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this still on the backlog. It's a key feature in SFB and as the go forward product it should have been an initial feature.

• Adam Belle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a simple port from Skype for Business... when you are chatting with someone, click the screen-share button to show them your desktop. Can't have people trying to pick beforehand... do I open Teams to chat or maybe Skype in case I need to share.

Feedback and Knowledge Base