How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,480 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

415 comments

Comments are closed An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make the Teams app much more convenient and easier to convince my department to adopt the product

• Rutvik Pandya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now I have to start a video meeting in order to share my screen. I should be able to do that without.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am agree with this idea: it's very helpful screen sharing during conversations.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now in order to screenshare, you have to first start a voice call. I would like the option to screenshare without needing to first initiate the voice call.

Need to be able to share my screen without having to start a video call. Like Skype can do.

• Joe Maslanka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to keep using Skype until we have this ability. That is the only reason for us at least to keep skype for biz around. Need a easy 1 click ability to share a desktop. no calling, no video...

With remote development teams we share desktops all day long and it is way to cumbersome to start a share in teams.

That is the only reason I can't fully remove Skype for Biz... it is way too cumbersome to do a desktop share with remote employees.

I would like a way to share my screen with one person in a chat. Skype has this ability.

Video set to OFF should be the default - not "ON", or I should be able to set it as my own default. People should be able to choose whether or not to turn on their camera when they join a meeting. Currently, it seems I have to join with video on and quickly turn it off, if I choose to (since I work from home, and I might be in my PJs).

• TC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - some of our group is using Teams inside a Windows VM, and the webcam doesn't pass through to the VM. We do use screen sharing a lot.

• Jaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have the ability to share the desktop and use chat for communication when audio

• c b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ya.. just like Skype for Business... no Video or Audio call needed to instantly share.

1 2 17 18 19 21 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.