How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,484 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
    Alex

407 comments

Comments are closed
    • SteveT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If anyone has used Screenhero (now part of Slack), you would be clamoring for that same level of screen sharing goodness. I'd be all for that level of screen sharing / collaboration without the need for video

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone has said it all already, so I'll just add my vote on top of their comments - it's forcing overhead that is not needed.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are already on the phone with someone (think conference call from a meeting room), it is annoying that you need to start a call with them in order to share your screen. It can also be confusing if you call them when you are already talking to them on the phone.

Sometimes we remote into our machines from the conference rooms, so using a video or audio call would not work. We end up telling them just to answer and mute/ignore the audio.

Sometimes we're using the voip system at our desk already. Having to do a voice or vid call creates chaos as the microphones start a feedback loop.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do screensharing all the time at our office. We pretty much never do video shares, in fact I have a piece of tape over my webcam. Jumping to do a quick screenshare or screenshare with a group is something we do all the time in skype for business. So this is considered a basic function we would expect in a tool we would be using to communicate in many cases instead. Not to mention, if I am watching someones screen it means I am not looking at their face.

• aparmley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This worked flawlessly for our team for the first week, maybe 2 weeks. Now, no matter what we try it seems as though screen sharing does not work, 1:1, 1:many, nada.

• Shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you meant to say "without audio". But yeah, this would be a fantastic feature. Seems odd to me that Teams doesn't have that feature while it exists in Skype for Business. My entire company would like to see this feature added!

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ability to screenshare with people you are chatting with within the chat section and also in teams

• Joanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

completely agree. my team was anxious to adopt Teams but was immediately turned off when they realized they could not share screen without using the 'call' feature

• Daniel Haliscak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think problem is here..
      Person A call to person B. Person B answer it and want to share screen, but it doesnt work. Person A must share screen just for few sec, stop sharing a now person B is able to share screen too. Weird.

Basically person who answer the call cannot share screen first, but have to wait until caller share screen a then other people in cal can share too.

• Robin Sanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Screen sharing more often than not fails for me in a 1 on 1 call. The other person most of the time doesn't have a problem sharing but for some reason I can't be counted on to be able to share my screen. I am running three monitors off a laptop. The laptop has an integrated video and an adapter video card (Dell Precision M4800). My only guess is it having something to do with Teams getting confused on what video adapter it needs to share from. I don't get any errors but the other person can't see my desktop.

• Shawn Keene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone in my office thinks they have to jump back to SkypeBusiness to do a screen-share session, but in actuality you can do it with Teams if you make a call first. This isn't intuitive at all.

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make the Teams app much more convenient and easier to convince my department to adopt the product

• Rutvik Pandya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now I have to start a video meeting in order to share my screen. I should be able to do that without.

i am agree with this idea: it's very helpful screen sharing during conversations.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now in order to screenshare, you have to first start a voice call. I would like the option to screenshare without needing to first initiate the voice call.

Need to be able to share my screen without having to start a video call. Like Skype can do.

• Joe Maslanka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to keep using Skype until we have this ability. That is the only reason for us at least to keep skype for biz around. Need a easy 1 click ability to share a desktop. no calling, no video...

With remote development teams we share desktops all day long and it is way to cumbersome to start a share in teams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base