How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without audio/video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a an audio.video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

5,481 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

UPDATE: I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

407 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company is phasing out SfB by October so having this feature is a must have. Can't wait to hear the news.

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desktop sharing from chat...and remote control too (!), i'm migrating from SfB to Teams right now...

This item is critical. When you live in a hybrid world with regular phones and Teams interacting together and conference rooms with regular phones...this is an absolute must.

• bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The screen sharing feature is pretty much the only reason I used Skype for business. Cannot upgrade to Teams until this is available without doing a video call.

• Jes Rijo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't use this tool because this feature does not exist yet. Please add asap.

• Jon Ostroushko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks guys. This is a big deal for feature parity that will put us one feature closer to being a able to switch fully to Teams.

ability to mark up the screen to highlight things while sharing screen would be awesome

Yeah, it is so annoying having to go through and start a meeting to do a quick screen share compared with skype where it is one button.

• Matt Shafer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add on here, that you could bring a lot of value for IT admins if you made this UAC enabled. I’d even be willing to pay for add on functionality like that if it meant I could ditch GoToAssist

• Joe V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree that this could stop my migration from Lync/SfB 2013 to Teams. This is critical to be able to quickly share what an issue is and is used heavily currently by our helpdesk team. This is more important to us that full SharePoint functionality in a tab. Please raise this one up!!

Teams should have been Skype for Business + Additional features. Leaving features of the core product that work flawlessly is a bummer and counter-intuitive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base