How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

3,376 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

305 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful. We currently do it now, if a user is on a notebook or has a camera on their station they just mute the volume/video

• Mark Kibble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we were able to gain local admin, we could honestly use this as a remote support tool. Bonus points if we could also somehow gather basic system details like PC Name and device serial number.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren

Any updates on this? It has been 2.5 months since this was put back onto the backlog. The number of requests continues to grow and this seems to be the highest voted request on the backlog with not update since January.

• Adam Belle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We support our users in Skype Business now by having them click the Share Content icon to open screen-sharing in Chat. Can't switch to Teams without this in place in the Team Chat day one too.

• eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do screen shares all the time but I've never done it along side video chat. Its just not useful. My webcam is on a laptop that's closed while docked so I couldn't use it if I wanted to.

• Jen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use this daily in Skype for Business and can’t move to Teams without it.

• DimaR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To tell the truth, screen sharing is awful. We tried to use it, but returned to S4B. I think developers do not use sharing themselves. If somebody just once tried to share for colleague RDP session, he know how pain to wait several seconds when control panel will hide itself. In S4B there is not such problem! Top panel disappears almost immediately and you have never wait for it when you have a couple RDP panels on the top of your screen.

Next. Why the **** we have so poor calling experience? If I called to my friend and he is suddenly calling me simultaneously, I can't pick up his call! First, the app writes "Leaving call". When I have to call his again! Why Skype can connect two calls and we are totally happy with it? Why don't you just borrow this functionality from ready product? It is so annoying.

Where are the statuses? We have statuses in any messenger, c'mon we are in 2018 already, are we?

I'm seeing the occasional comment that this "isn't a big deal", because you can just start a quick video chat in order to share your screen. I'm already chatting with the person, I don't need a video chat (additional step), I just want to be able to click on a button to quickly share my screen with that person. I may not be on the phone with them. Or I may be on the phone with them. Or I may be on the phone with someone else.

• Joe Maslanka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with nearly all the comments! we are forced to keep using Skype until this feature done. Super annoying.

• Jed Boulton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in the same line, Join Meeting without Audio/Video. Sometimes the meeting Audio is run through the polycom in the room already and attendees need to share with the group. If the only way to join the meeting is with the Audio on that causes moments of confusion while user mutes mic and then turns down audio. It would be much simpler to be given the choice when joining the meeting.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a current functionality in SfB this is huge and used quite a bit in our org.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to not be on the backlog. This single feature is preventing thousands of companies from adopting Teams. It needs to be escalated fast.

• Leo Slegt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do need to be able to let guest users share their screen with us. This is our most wanted feature for Teams. Now we have to switch to a concurrent product for this.

• Mark Trednick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Screen sharing is the first thing I tried when test driving Teams. Not a great OBE, but other features have hooked me on Teams. Looking forward to a simple screen share.

We love Teams, but we need screen sharing, so we have to keep using Skype for Business.

How does forcing users to keep using Skype fit with Microsoft's objective to replace Skype with Teams. The workaround that others have suggested may be fine for individual users, but it is not an acceptable arrangement for a business.

This feature request should not be on the 'Backlog', that is crazy.

yes need this function. sharing screens without being on a call is something we do frequently

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base