How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Enable screen sharing without video call

Enable an option to start a screen sharing session without starting a video call. This is a common use case in our organization.

4,355 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jens Engelmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

351 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needed, chat / IM are primary forms of communication at our company. need ability to quickly share screen during these interactions.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me today sitting physically in a conference room with development team, "let me share my screen and show you" - oh wait, can't unless we all join a voice/video meeting. Sorry, without being able to just "share my screen" with the participants of a chat or channel - this is broken.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that this is in the backlog when it is the 6th most requested feature is ridiculous. This should be an active project immediately. Being that the customers are the stake holders in this product, the fact that we are heavily requesting a feature, but it is still in the backlog is insane. This needs to be resolved ASAP. This should not be very difficult considering that the functionality is already in Teams, just restrained by having to be on a call. PLEASE fix this severe limitation ASAP.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the recent announcement that Teams has reached feature parity with SfB, will this feature be released soon?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutly need functional equivalence with SfB in this feature area - desktop/screen/app sharing on 1:1 chat and meetings.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. This feature (and it needs to work on the linux client/web app) is the one thing preventing me from moving away from Pidgin/Sipe/sipe-collab to use this as my main IM client

• Francisco Rivera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this still on the backlog. It's a key feature in SFB and as the go forward product it should have been an initial feature.

• Adam Belle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a simple port from Skype for Business... when you are chatting with someone, click the screen-share button to show them your desktop. Can't have people trying to pick beforehand... do I open Teams to chat or maybe Skype in case I need to share.

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm curious what the rationale is for not having this implemented highly requested feature , after nearly 2 years on the backlog!

While the current method for screen sharing is relatively functional, it's not readily apparent that the video call can do screen sharing. It's not terribly difficult once you know how to do it (place a video call, with video disabled and mic muted.) However, in my experience, the person you're wanting to share your screen with usually rejects the call the first time, believing it's an actual video call.

(I do appreciate being able share a particular window. Kudos to you for that. But seriously, my company is ready to switch to teams. This is the only real showstopper left.)

• Asa Fry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah guys teams is way better than Lync, great voice quality and it is SO convenient to be able to see conversations in chat rooms/channels when you are away, really cuts down on clutter and having to add people back into a meeting. However, this is a very common use case just now I was listening in to a meeting and needed to share my screen with a coworker and could not ... bit deal! Thanks for the great product I hope you can add this soon.

• David Buntin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this too. Here's my use case:

I've called someone on my cell phone or office phone (over the PSTN). While in conversation, I want to see their screen or share my screen. I open a 1-on-1 chat Window in Skype for Business and click the screen sharing icon. We continue talking on our cell phones, but look at the shared screen during the conversation.

• Phil Halpern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You had this feature on OCS/Lync/Skype and you should have integrated it as it has always been used; simple and transparent to a business user. It affects adoption of Teams as a Skype replacement.

• Steeve T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nearly 2 years and still no update? This is the only feature stopping us from using Teams only. Please give us an update.

• MichaelF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the MAIN reason my company won't move to Teams. Sitting in a 1:1 in the same room and you can't share a screen to collaborate without placing a call, feeedback and muting issues and a mess. Seems like a major miss that this is taking so long.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Geez... It's been nearly 2 years since this has been suggested and it's still on the backlog? Move it to the 'frontlog' already! How can you have a collaboration tool without screen sharing?

• Vance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good day team,

Do we have any update on the timeline for this request? We heard it would be implemented in June and I just wanted to check in and see if its still on track?

Thanks in advance

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base