How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Search previous messages

I know this is new but "Search" is very fundamental to the success of any product. When messages gets pretty long and you remember that you had this conversation before, you search for it. Right now, I don't see a way to search previous messages.

57 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
we have this!  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

You can search your messages by typing your search term into the search bar, and then clicking the “messages” tab that is directly underneath the search bar.

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also, is it possible to search for the chat thread per date as currently you cannot have a date range where you indicate the exact date range you want to search the chat thread e.g. 03/08/2018 to 03/10/2018.

I tried scrolling but when I got too far it goes back to the recent chat which is quite annoying.

have you improve the search as per the requests of the people who commented on this wherein you can be able to recall the chat thread for that searched term.

"when it shows my search term in a conversation, clicking on it should take me back to that whole thread"

• J. Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it now has a link that says "Go to the chat to see the rest," but clicking on it only takes me to the most current message of that person's chat line! When I had the conversation over a year ago, how can I quickly get to that point of the chat? I'm often searching for a client code or what I asked, which isn't going to show me the answer/response I got at the time.

Tbh, this is kind of a fatal error— probably worth going back to Skype personal for, because we use our chats as documentation and training resources.

I agree with Nikolas. Suphatra, Is it possible to have a per conversation search?

• J. Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree with the comments below— when it shows my search term in a conversation, clicking on it should take me back to that whole thread (like Skype does).

• Nikolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra, is there a way to search inside a specific conversation?

For example, I want to find instances where My Boss talked to be about "BUDGET". But I am not interested in budget discussions I had with other people. So, I go to my chat thread with My Boss and I want to search for "BUDGET" only in there. Why should that not be possible?

If we want to replace e-mail we need the most advanced and powerful search function in the Universe. Nothing should escape the Teams search engine. It should be able to find the needle in the haystack for me.

Sorry, aiming high but you get the sense of what I mean.

I did search and it shows me a snippet of the message... AND THAT IS IT, I CAN'T GO TO THE FULL MESSAGE. Keep up Microsoft!

• Macdara Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have functionality for any work IM tool, search is not thread-sepcific right now on Windows App which is a nightmare to find stuff.

• Ryan Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is necessity after using the product for long, takes far too long to scroll back through days of chat to find one conversation. Also slack has always had this so its needed for feature parity.

• Jerry Liang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvote. Plus the integrated search functionality for "Notes" (onenote tab) without having to leave the Teams app.

Feedback and Knowledge Base