How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,294 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kristoffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add weeknumbers while you are at it!
    (In Sweden, we use Week Numbers extensivly)

• Homero Leal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use date, time format and language settings also. I also prefer to have the app in 1 language and normally write in 3 different languages depending on the team I'm working with. So spelling checker/proofing tools based on computer settings just like outlook web/office 365 seems good.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A specific example: the message timestamps shown in chat history are displayed with US dates, even though my computer has Australian regional settings.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem on version #1.0.00.15951 (64 bits) on 6/15/17. The Interface display in "French Belgium" but the date format is in US English and we also have a mis match if English/french in the UI. ex: June 14 2017, Wednesday 3:36PM Modifié.

• Vincent Ha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are finding an issue with setting the language on the desktop client, where we have set it to English (Australia). Sometime later, it gets reset back to English (United States). This is not confirmed yet but I suspect the recent application update has caused it to go back to English (United States). This idea will eliminate the need to set my own language preference.

• Aleksander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having project participants from over the globe is making things difficult to understand. Please include option to use 24h format and DD.MM or DD.MM.YYYY date format.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Decoupling from both OS settings and app language to a separate setting would be best. Currently, even changing the app language to English (Ireland), which just happens to be a somewhat sane dd.mm.yy 24h locale, does not result in any visible changes at least on a Mac.

• Joe Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.14456 (64-bit). It was last updated on 5/31/17.

My language option in the Teams UI and on the computer is English UK, but all dates/times in Teams have reverted to US format.

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be an option for sure, encouraged to see it being worked on.

It appears (at least for me) that irrespective of the Profile language setting selected, the date format uses only the US format.

• George Gooding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The default language setting should come from the OS.

For overriding these values, you should be able to set the language and the time/date formats separately, like you can in the OS.

For example I usually have all my computer programs in English, while I use the time/date formatting for my country (Norway).

• Philip Worrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our international organisation based in Switzerland uses English and French with a different time zone. So having the language and date / time linked is a problem for us.

e.g. We use English as a language but the Amsterdam/berne CET time zone.

• Sixten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When there are settings in the OS for how to display and format dates, time and other stuff, then use it!

If you want the user to be able to override the settings in the OS, that's OK, but then it should be an Opt-In system for that, and it should be at least as good and flexible as the settings in the OS.

Don't reinvent the wheel, use the design guide that Microsoft publish on how to write software for windows.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams application shoud honour my system 24-hour clock setting on Windows 10. It does not. Meetings show on 12-hour clock.

• choi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I schedule a meeting on Teams, time setting is automatically changed.
    -> If I set 7:00am, system recognizes it as 7:00 p.m
    Please.. Fix this..

• Lowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, just conform to the settings I have set in Windows. It's confusing to see a message that looks like it was sent on September 3 ("09/03") when really it was sent March 9.

Feedback and Knowledge Base