How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,294 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In settings the language settings is said to control date and time settings. When I change to language Swedish the date setting is still US style

• Geoff Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We thought changing the date format in the underlying SharePoint site might work and while you can do this successfully there no change when you're back in Teams

• Ancan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You would have thought a Microsoft product would be able to use the Microsoft operating system date and time format, in the same way thousands of other applications do and have been doing for years and years.

Very frustrating when scanning the messages for today and responding to them only to find they are from my yesterday.

• Johann Dirry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the application should use the computer settings, rather than use custom date and time formatters

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Date Format is in mm-dd. Must be in dd-mm or dd/mm in french language.

Still broken for me also. US time format used, and no option to pick correct type

• Si Chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvote from me for the Android app - needs option to change date format

• Matt Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra, is there any timeframe on this? This is pretty much a blocker for us adopting MS Teams. I can't very well ask my team to use a product that confuses them.

• simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is it possible to set the date format to Australian/UK format - not default US format

Working in a big company I want to be able to set the language to the company standard (english) but still being able to set the regional settings (time/date) to my local country (in this case Swedish).

For a start you could make the date in the proper format. We are in the UK and all dates are in American format.

• Peter King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This for us is also an issue in excel online / xlsx file view in teams.
    A file saved in UK format in the Application version of excel when saved to the SharePoint documents file location viewed in excel online or XLSX file viewer in MS Teams shows the date format in US times

Teams should use the date + time format set on my Mac (like every other application does). I am in the US but prefer 24 hour time and everything we do in our business is in 24 hour format.

Feedback and Knowledge Base