How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,294 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first comment from MS is from 2017-06-22 - 8 months ago and still not done. First day of the week/year, date, time, decimals and thousands separators...

• TH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use OS settings for desktop app - calendar, date/time and numbers format

• Phil malone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft needs to make this a minimum requirement for all of its systems. Backwards dates (yes, mm/dd/yyyy is incorrect for every country in the world besides the USA) causes confusion and inefficiency. It's tiring that version 1.0 of every Microsoft product fails to take this into consideration, as if they'd never considered it.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really annoying! Countries outside the US don't use the weird MM/DD/YY format!

• Louise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem for us, this is both corrupting data and confusing people!

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow me to change the format of the way the date is displayed when looking at the document access history. The date format seems to be in US style, with month first. I want to see day first

• Jimmy Butcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Date seems to format to dd-mm-yyyy after I changed the language setting for teams - but it would indeed be much more elegant if the app just honoured my regional settings.

• Nano mandrake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow to change date and time format to be different from the specified language. In our company we mainly use english, but being in a european country everyone prefers dd/mm/yyyy and 24h format, but most of us use english as display language

• HH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On a computer set with 24H time, Teams displays times in 12H time. Teams should match the computer display for time.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ooh, look - Microsoft's own UI guidelines instruct app developers to respect the user's choice of date and time format:

--

Dates and times

Don't hard-code the format of dates and times. Respect the user's choice of locale and customization options for the date and time formats. The user selects these in the Region and Language control panel item.

--

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742478(v=vs.85).aspx

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a minor irritation but an irritation nonetheless. To me, 11/4 is the 11th April, not 4th November which teams seems to think it is. Please fix.

• Charles Yeomans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should try and default to ISO8601 format, which causes no confusion and is used by W3C and Internet.

• Petri Nurminen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it that product after product Microsoft can't make the date and time format settings work properly? Like stated several times in previous comments, there are OS date and time settings and I would assume MS applications would have access to them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base