How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,294 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is simply not acceptable for a application in production not to separate application language an date/number formats

• Anthony G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree, it should be stored behind the scenes so it correctly shows / convert's it to the 'user's choice of locale which includes date format.'

• Gunnar Óskarsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, having a 12-hour/24-hour format switch in the setting would go a long way. That is, assuming the system date and time format is somehow a complicated implementation, making it stuck on the backlog for so long.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren: "the team does understand this is a big need".

MS UI guidelines say that supporting the system time and date format is "the very least" that an app should do.

My initial thought was that the Windows API has a function that does exactly this - GetDateFormatEx(). But it's really a HTML application under the hood.

No problem - the Javascript API has functions that does exactly this too - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/scripting/javascript/reference/intl-datetimeformat-object-javascript

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm voting for this but as an option. At the very least, the application should respect the user's choice of locale which includes date format.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Its internationnal
    - Its unambiguous
    - Its complete
    - Its compact
    - Its sorts naturally

• Serge Dudnic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The date-time format should be taken, by default, not from the UI Ms Team language, but from the system (Windows) settings.

I have the OS in the en-US language, but the date-time is formatted dd/MM/YYYY, however the Teams displays it in M/d format in the search results.

Please respect and take the OS date-time formatting by default.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are using the Teams Windows app with language set to English (United States) and you don't like the format: MM-DD-YYYY, you can try changing the language to English (United Kingdom)
    (The date format is DD-MM-YYYY).

• AnonNZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite unbelievable that this has been moved to the backlog.

If you can't get the client's date format correct all the time, then always display it in the unambiguous (and ISO standard) YYYY-MM-DD format.

What's worse than showing dates in MM-DD-YYYY format is that some parts of the Office 365 suite show a mix of formats on the same page.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so basically anyone that's not American and uses another date format can get f'ed says MS

• Jóhann Áki Björnsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably the best way to support other language formats that are not like the on on offer for teams for now (like no Icelandic language on offer and date and time formats not supported)

• Per Jarnehammar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have selected Swedish as interface language and hence the date and time format should follow the Swedish standard which is YYYY-MM-DD and 24-hour clock. But the time in the calendar is still displayed in 12 hour format.

Feedback and Knowledge Base