How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,294 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

166 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ekij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams should use the system settings.
    If for some reason if felt the need to use other settings the one to use is the ISO international date format (YYYY-MM-DD) this format can be understood by everyone without confusion.

• Anders Candell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm pretty ****** I even had to google this. How long has "regional settings" been present in Windows? Really? Wouldn't Microsoft's own developers be pretty familiar with this, and shouldn't they be following their own best practices?

Right now, my "workaround" is to use Swedish interface, which gives me correct date and time format, but then the spell-checking seems locked to Swedish as well, and I mainly communicate in English.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please fix this

Its very annoying.

Typically small minded US attitude where they think GLOBAL means more than 1 state.

• Gustaf Sahlström commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, the 'Day' view in the Meetings tab does not use the date/time format set for the user in O365. It always uses 12hr am/pm format.

Note that the 'Agenda' view in the Meeting tab does take these settings into consideration.

Teams does not feel like a global product. It is clearly aiming for US customers. The way Microsoft completely ignors non-US date and time formats and normal uer settings is just beyond belief.
    Localization has been around for decades, it is not that hard Microsoft!

• Gerhard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Serge Dudnic has it right: The app should respect the system settings. That's why we have the system settings, and that's what all decent apps do. I don't want to configure every single app on my system to use the date/time formats -- I want them to take this information from the system. As Microsoft intended... (This app is written by Microsoft, is it?)

• s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you @j for the suggestion but it does not solve all cases. In Canada we have 3 different date formats, depending on various factors; the original Canadian which is basically the same as the UK, the more common American format since most companies here do business across the border and it is also increasingly common to see the ISO format. Additionally, it is pretty common to see either 12-hour and 24-hour clock, depending on context, but how to know which one to use? I personally know which one to use and I have set my OS settings appropriately. But now i need to coax Teams to simulate the same behaviour!? This seems absurd and I still have not found a combination which uses ISO format and 24-hour clock. I am currently using "English (Belize)" which is about where I gave up trying but at least it has a 24-hour clock.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ensure setting the date and time according to ISO-8601: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601.

And take the settings from the OS, don't make any assumptions from the Teams application language setting. The user has most certainly configured the OS properly from the beginning.

• Joakim Westin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this, it is bad that Teams do not pickup the locale settings from Windows. Teams client should use the settings from Windows and not have it's own settings.

This is incredibly broken.
    a) Office language/locale settings all used to "just work" - talk to ChrisPr !
    b) Teams ignores all local settings when installed: Windows system locale, Office language settings, browser settings
    c) It takes its date format and spell-check from a separate language setting (these should be independent) . Spell-check is usually keyed off the system keyboard language setting, which Teams ignores and provides a keyboard language setting which only has keyboard layout options

I'm not sure how much more wrong it could be. But clearly there's a lot of contempt for non-US customers.

Agreed, I understand that all countries in the world, except America, use the DD/MM format, so that should be respected and considered

O365 is marketed as a global solution so one really wonder how MS came to the conclusion to use US format when there is an ISO standard for it. If only one format can be supported by Teams then it should be the internationally standardized one. Not something local like US.

For several reasons I run all my applications in english but still want the local formatting. Amazing that this basic requirement can be on the backlog for almost two years by now!

• Chris Caley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have fixed by checking Settings it says "App language determines the date and time format." The app was set to United States but Browser was set to Australia, I have fixed the app date display by changing the language.

• JyriK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For real. This is a basic requirement. Not all people use same time format than U.S.

These settings should really come from OS.

• Pratik Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Default language should be utilised from OS configuration as per comments below or allow msi switch to install local language.

Feedback and Knowledge Base