How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,353 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

172 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Simon Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I said to Mark Kashman last time I saw him, it's completely unacceptable that this US-centric date format default persists. Less than 4% of the world's population uses this obscure MM/DD/YYYY format.
    Furthermore, it creates a genuine compliance risk due to the likelihood that dates are misread.

Please, for heaven's sake fix it and stop it happening in future.

• nisse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the backlog? This is automatic! Unless of course, if you use a single threaded script language and a platform where you can't even open a popup-window or access native OS features in a smooth natural way like we have done for a couple of decades now?

You don't use a platform where you need to manually code for the entire localization framework in windows, do you? Or where you don't practically get automatic drag/drop feature, not only within the application, but also to other applications?

And don't forget about sorting....

• Игорь Стасюк commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without the ability to bring the date and time format to the usual form, I'm unlikely to be able to persuade my team to switch to Teams. They will not want to switch to a less convenient program and will continue to use Slack.

• bert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys! It is only AD 2019! Do not expect technology that far that we already can present a correct date. Let discuss this issue not earlier than 2035. At that time, education and ethos for programmers working on this kind of software might have reached a satisfying level.

• Renni Respoalo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be settings for Teams. Some place where we can configure correct date and time formats for example. Settings for an app should be the first basic functions before you even think of publishing the app.

• Jannika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least, once you change it in your settings to UK format, don't let every update revert it back to US format.

• KImmo Helaskoski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this really something that cannot be quickly corrected.

I use English as the language of the OS.

But I use DD.MM.YYYY type settings for date and a 24hour a day clock.

Not the silly and illogical US style of date. Or as unusable 12 hour clock. For date I do not see the month written as text to be a solution. Quick checks and overview with a glance is impossible as there is a need to read not just comprehend.

Which is earlier 11.5. or 9.2. or which is earlier October 11 or November 9

How can such thing as this take ages to be corrected. It has been done in the OS. Should not be a problem in other places... Or is this just some boring change not any "wow", why the "agile" developers do not like it.

This is a big issue for many organisations. I cannot use any other language than English for the Teams since every heading is changed and the use is difficult when helping people in other countries.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Settings should be taken over from the regional settings of the user. These settings are important in an international context. These settings rightfully so are done on OS level and should not be tampered with in the application.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have a joint development team in UK and USA a date like 10/7/19 can be ambiguous. Does it mean 10 July 2019 or 7 October 2019 ?
    A solution is to explicitly show the month in letters, e.g 10 July 2019.
    Please enable this date format.
    Thank you, Alistair Morfey

• TPG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For international usage especially in large companies it is vital to use the same date and time format as in the computer's settings.

• Bridgid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have to leave in US format at least use words rather than numbers.
    ie 11/05 ie write Nov 05. Less confusion for the rest of the world that doesn't use this system.

• TN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is annoying and make meeting scheduling impossible in some cases because this weird time system. We have 24h clock not stupid 12h...

• Phillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A default installation should take the date/time format of the computer's system settings. Give the user the option to change it, sure, but make it correct by default!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.