How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

1,153 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

143 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very, very frustrating moving from Staffhub to Microsoft Teams/Shifts. Date/Times are important stuff in our business and I don't have any confidence using Teams/Shifts for our day-to-day operations.
    What is happening with this feature Microsoft?

• Natalie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is vital that this is corrected. We work in the UK and it is causing real confusion that the date is US based. I agree that this should be something that should be configurable for all Teams in the Teams admin console. I spent half a morning looking for this. At the moment, even though the Language is set to UK, the dates associated with files are all US dates. Clearly the language setting is not filtering through to a corresponding date display. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Thank you.

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unbelievable that this level of bug goes ignored for so long. Makes a mockery of anyone interested in governance and using Teams. Makes even more of a mockery for those MS partners who have to deal with irate clients facing this issue.

It should be possible for the Teams site administrator to set the regional settings for the site so that all users of the file get a common format. At the moment, working in an international environment, the same shared file gets a variety of dates.

• TradeIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Date format should come from regional/location settings of the user...

• Felix Attard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice if the app could use language settings and date format according to settings on the workstation.

As an international user I really hope this is fixed soon. I just had a call scheduled wrong by 12 hours due to me using the Enligsh US language UI, which forces me to use AM/PM time formats.

I suggest that you enable users to choose for them selves the time format, regardless of the UI language. Copying WIndows locale settings is nice, but please also let these settings to be set individually, as there might be scenarios where you want to keep separate settings.

While we're at it, get rid of the childish so-called "friendly" date formats for modification (etc.) dates. I have "Yesterday", "29/01" and "28/01/2018" for three files next to each other.
    Nobody EVER complained about being given actual dates in a consistent format but some prat decided that inconsistency is better.
    I suppose you could argue that MS is consistently inconsistent, but that's not really a positive!

• André Haddad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please standardize all date and time format according to the user's profile.

Some date appears as DD MMMM YYYY, MM-DD, YY-MM-DD, 2h AGO (this word is not translated in a french settings), Today, Yestesday.

Time is displayed as AM/PM or 24 h

In Forms, date field contains the format value « YYYY-MM-DD » which is not translated to other languages.

A OneNote in Teams, the date and time appear as DDDD, MMMM DD YYYY (in English).

This should not be considered as an enhancement, but a correction to bad quality control.

See picture

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although you can change the date format in settings, it would be better if Teams could use the date format used on the machine. We have to tell every user how to change it to UK format. Very annoying!

• Mertsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes absolutely! Try with English (UK) which shows am/pm while all other dates are in 10:30.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

News?

I'm really surprised by how hard simple functions seems to be sometimes.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

567 days should be enough to insert one call to toLocaleDateString() and one call to toLocaleTimeString().

This gets everything displayed in the machine locale's date and time format.

• Kevin Lauermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Settings should let you choose:
    1) display language
    2) date/time format
    3) calendar display format (popup on due date) for example Monday to Sunday instead of Sunday to Saturday

• Kevin Lauermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Settings should let you choose:
    1) the calendar display Monday to Sunday too. (in Schedule mask and on the popup windows on due date)
    2) date/time format
    3) language

• Ekij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams should use the system settings.
    If for some reason if felt the need to use other settings the one to use is the ISO international date format (YYYY-MM-DD) this format can be understood by everyone without confusion.

• Anders Candell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm pretty ****** I even had to google this. How long has "regional settings" been present in Windows? Really? Wouldn't Microsoft's own developers be pretty familiar with this, and shouldn't they be following their own best practices?

Right now, my "workaround" is to use Swedish interface, which gives me correct date and time format, but then the spell-checking seems locked to Swedish as well, and I mainly communicate in English.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base