How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use same date and time format as in my computer's settings

Many people like to use English as their display language, but get confused with the US date format: 11/06 is October 6 in the US, but June 11 in many other countries. Why not display the date according to the setting in Windows?

Same goes for time, of course, where many use 24 hour format instead of am and pm.

955 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Tideström shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

103 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

News?

I'm really surprised by how hard simple functions seems to be sometimes.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

567 days should be enough to insert one call to toLocaleDateString() and one call to toLocaleTimeString().

This gets everything displayed in the machine locale's date and time format.

• Anders Candell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm pretty ****** I even had to google this. How long has "regional settings" been present in Windows? Really? Wouldn't Microsoft's own developers be pretty familiar with this, and shouldn't they be following their own best practices?

Right now, my "workaround" is to use Swedish interface, which gives me correct date and time format, but then the spell-checking seems locked to Swedish as well, and I mainly communicate in English.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please fix this

Its very annoying.

Typically small minded US attitude where they think GLOBAL means more than 1 state.

Teams does not feel like a global product. It is clearly aiming for US customers. The way Microsoft completely ignors non-US date and time formats and normal uer settings is just beyond belief.
        Localization has been around for decades, it is not that hard Microsoft!

This is incredibly broken.
        a) Office language/locale settings all used to "just work" - talk to ChrisPr !
        b) Teams ignores all local settings when installed: Windows system locale, Office language settings, browser settings
        c) It takes its date format and spell-check from a separate language setting (these should be independent) . Spell-check is usually keyed off the system keyboard language setting, which Teams ignores and provides a keyboard language setting which only has keyboard layout options

I'm not sure how much more wrong it could be. But clearly there's a lot of contempt for non-US customers.

O365 is marketed as a global solution so one really wonder how MS came to the conclusion to use US format when there is an ISO standard for it. If only one format can be supported by Teams then it should be the internationally standardized one. Not something local like US.

For several reasons I run all my applications in english but still want the local formatting. Amazing that this basic requirement can be on the backlog for almost two years by now!

• Chris Caley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have fixed by checking Settings it says "App language determines the date and time format." The app was set to United States but Browser was set to Australia, I have fixed the app date display by changing the language.

• JyriK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For real. This is a basic requirement. Not all people use same time format than U.S.

These settings should really come from OS.

• Gunnar Óskarsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, having a 12-hour/24-hour format switch in the setting would go a long way. That is, assuming the system date and time format is somehow a complicated implementation, making it stuck on the backlog for so long.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren: "the team does understand this is a big need".

MS UI guidelines say that supporting the system time and date format is "the very least" that an app should do.

My initial thought was that the Windows API has a function that does exactly this - GetDateFormatEx(). But it's really a HTML application under the hood.

No problem - the Javascript API has functions that does exactly this too - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/scripting/javascript/reference/intl-datetimeformat-object-javascript

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base