How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow the central administration of Teams

Currently an Admin cannot use the Admin app to centrally administer Groups, Planners and Teams. This creates a number of risks for an organisation: 1) unable to manage ownership; 2) unable to manage storage; 3) unable to manage information life cycles. Just to name a few. From a security and compliance point of view a central admin function is highly recommended.

398 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Fransen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    needs your feedback  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey everyone — Suphatra’s back! And I’m on the case with this item.

I talked to engineering and I think they don’t understand this request. The requests says “Admin App” — do you mean Admin Center? The O365 portal?

Also, what exactly do you envision for central administration — for example — what can you do now, can’t do, and would like to do with this new feature.

Your feedback will help me get the team to put more resources into this. Thank you!

Suphatra

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My take on central administration of Teams is this: for an internal communicator, I have absolutely no oversight of how Teams is used to communicate.

In Yammer, I can set up keywords, I can monitor groups, I can suggest best ways to use the service, and I can see what groups exist. In teams, I can't do any of this – I have to engage IT each and every time I need something done.

Teams needs an admin portal 'in teams' for 'teams administrators', which let's us manage the communities that exist in Teams. It doesn't need the IT'y things like calling quality etc – leave that where it is.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a radio button to enable or disable users to upload custom photos for their avatar

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add... Is there a way to be assigned a role that gives a user access to (only) the new Microsoft Teams & Skype for Business Admin Center, without having to be a Global Admin? For example, I have an O365 role that gives me access only to the SharePoint Admin Center. The Director of Infrastructure is hesitant to give me access to the Teams & Skype Admin Center because I would need to be a Global Admin.

We have to fully administrate the content of Teams which is an agregate of SPO admin center, Skype admin center, O365 groups admin center etc...

This item was posted when Teams was first launched. At that time there was zero central admin capabilities. Today, there's the "Microsoft Teams & Skype for Business Admin Center". Settings from the "Microsoft Teams" add-in are being migrated to the "Microsoft Teams & Skype for Business Admin Center". But, there's still lots of work needed. You still need to manage voice in the "legacy portal" ("Skype for Business admin center").
        You still can't see a list of Teams or have a link to manage O365 groups which are tied to these teams. You have to look at the preview of the SharePoint admin site and infer which ones are tied to Microsoft Teams. Office 365 Groups have to be managed in the Exchange Admin. You should have a seamless experience managing teams. You shouldn't have to jump around to all of these different admin centers.

• Martino Vedana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I would like to add and remove users to groups and channels setting notification policies for each user.
        This allows me to create channels per project and add, as administrator, all the users involved forcing them to be notified when a channel has new messages

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the ability for admins, from a admin console, to manage voice features:
        1.) View/modify forwarding rules for lines
        2.) View/modify greetings, out of office rules, etc.

On the pure Teams front:
        1.) Edit all team attributes = channels, members, names, apps, links, etc.
        2.) Archive/restore teams and channels

• Chris Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you enable "Preview on" in Admin Center, this functionality is available. I have been using it for 3 weeks :) There's still a ways to go but, much better than the previous convoluted way you had to perform the task.

• Tim bridgham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a admin, I need to be able to see all TEAMs, change owners if needed, move channels or combine team if and when that capability comes out, see what teams are no longer being used. I get asked all the time to look at a group or team and help with adding apps or adjusting settings. The more teams we build the harder it becomes to administrate all of them. Users will never do everything themselves.

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this?! The Teams and Skype admin portal in O365 is severely lacking. Lack of administrative control will force us to abandon Teams for the many reasons listed below.

How about a basic guidebook on Teams administration commands via Powershell?

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please. Get moving on this. I need to be able to administer ALL SharePoint Sites in my tenant. Teams Site owners need my assistance and I can't do anything for them.

• M Sterling Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Company SharePoint admin I need to be able to read, edit, & delete ANY SharePoint site in our tenant, otherwise that role is completely bogus. What in the world were you thinking!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous I now have dozens of teams sites in our tenant that I can't even see let alone administer. Several now are orphaned anomalies floating around. And the only solution is to beg the global admin to use a non-gui interface (powershell) to do a simple deletion step. This is the definition of lack of thinking and planning.

• Filip Kohout commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good if MS Teams Central administration show date of latest event (comment, file editation, etc). Show number of members etc.

After longer time of use of Teams. There will be many inactive teams in the organization that I would like to identify and possibly delete / archive.

Also create tool for team migration to another team.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not my blog, but I found this amusing and interesting. http://www.windowsmanagementexperts.com/ms-teams-sharepoint-online-some-disintegrations-part-1/ms-teams-sharepoint-online-some-disintegrations-part-1.htm

Does anyone know if you disable creation of O365 groups with PowerShell, can you still create Teams with PowerShell scripts as Global Admin?
        Seems like that would be the way to go.

A teams owner left the company and left some pages checked out. Now every team memeber complains and I as admin I'm struggling to solve the problem as global admin. Guess what... I've no permission to access the team site as a global admin. Brilliant...

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just enabling Guest access to ALL teams instead of allowing certain teams to be shared externally is really giving us some heartburn. Scenario: User is terminated, but he's shared his team to his external email address. He has access to the team and all it's contents regardless of the fact that his business account has been taken away. It's an administrative nightmare considering users can create tons of teams.

• Kesava Velugubantla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have SharePoint Governance in-place for the tenant but now with teams being able to create an internal site for each team. There is no where we can control the nature of the sharepoint content or enforce governance. there is strong need to have a centralized admin center for teams, office groups and all its resources.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base