How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename of Team Channel doesn't rename associated Sharepoint files Folder

When renaming a Team Channel, the associated Sharepoint folder continues with it's previous name. This could lead to confusion.

1,738 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

kevo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

109 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark Sealy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I changed the name of a Channel, I seemed to have completely lost my planner and the associated data. Has the issue of changing the name of a channel been resolved?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please provide an update, we are on hold with our Teams adoption until this gets resolved. This is a major issue for us. Thank you for your support!

Warren, no one is adjudicating or commenting on the Sharepoint item so to point us there is not that helpful it seems. A black hole.

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like internal fight between departments.
        We don't want to be a part on this.
        Please fix the issue!

It should be possible to reset the corresponding SharePoint folder path in Teams. The automatic creation of a new root folder on the SharePoint site when creating a new Teams channel creates too many folders and makes SharePoint seem cluttered and unorganized. Several things should be improved in this connection:
        - Allow Teams channel owner to determine corresponding SharePoint folder path for files when creating the Teams channel
        - Allow Teams channel owner to change corresponding SharePoint folder path at any time, e.g. after reorganizing SharePoint folder structure

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted on sharepoint site. This needs fixed! Admin, can you call some one over there and buy some beers and pizzas?

This is obnoxious.

This is a significant bug (inconvenience if you prefer) with obvious implications the longer a channel has been utilized.
        1. Renaming the channel without renaming the back-end folder creates user confusion
        2. Renaming the back-end folder breaks the link and browsing files is no longer possible

There needs to be either an "Owner" capability to repair or choose a specific folder to assign to the Files tab
        AND/OR
        There needs to be a GUID or other property that marks a folder with it's appropriate channel such that renaming on either end does not impact the association

If the channel has only files (so not really used) you can delete the channel, make a new one with the new folder name and it will show up in teams - tab 'Files' . Needs to be corrected!

• Lisa Capps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to change the URL would be awesome. Our team owner likes to change the name of channels ALL THE TIME without regard to the fact that if we want to see tasks using Planner the channel names don't match up, or when viewing things through the SharePoint interface.

It's gonna make me crazy!!!

Hi, has there been any updates on this? We use the Channels a lot for projects, and teh names change as the project evolves.

Hi Warren, we are a relatively new O365 user (upgraded from O2010 and other solutions 12-18 months ago) and have exactly the same issue in my company. I wonder how Microsoft are using Teams and Sharepoint internally when this is an issue/limitation? Across a business the size of Microsoft, this issue must come up often enough (over the years this issue has been open according to the posts). What work around or alternative configurations are you using internally to solve this issue? Please let me know if there have been any developments in the last 6 months as the staff within my business are defaulting back to previous systems/processes because the MS solution is creating more pain than benefit. This issue and various other issues have not been solved for years (i.e. adding comments on a planner board within teams is triggering a tsunami of emails, not being able @ mention people in planner board within teams, etc). Looking forward to your response :-) Michiel

This issue was highlighted by the community more than 2 year and half and 1140 votes ago and it is still here...

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will tend to become increasingly annoying when I share multiple groups, and even more channels.

Working offline will become near impossible if the folder names do not correspond.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base