How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Rename of Team Channel doesn't rename associated Sharepoint files Folder

When renaming a Team Channel, the associated Sharepoint folder continues with it's previous name. This could lead to confusion.

2,580 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

kevo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Thanks for following our suggestion to vote this up on SharePoint. It worked! SharePoint has confirmed that they have already started working on this and I’ll be getting an ETA from them after the holidays. -Suphatra

182 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the hold up guys? Had a customer change a channel name via the SharePoint folder view during mid-rollout and they're freaking out and basically had us stop half way into this to evaluate the project....Seriously.

• Glenn King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are at least two tickets submitted for this with votes tallying up to over 4,000. I wonder how many are needed before they take action on it...

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to rename the general channel and view all folders in the sharepoint site.

• Caroline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this please. The inability to rename the corresponding files folder renders this tool practically useless if not configured correctly on day 1.

• Tech_2000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even deleting a channel, it retains the corresponding folder in SharePoint. A simple solution would be to give the option when you rename or delete; if you would like to also delete or rename the corresponding folder in SharePoint? I mean, there are certain cases whereby you would want to remove the channel from Teams but keep its corresponding folder in SharePoint. Hence why a pop up message with an option would be an ideal solution.

• sanaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We ready need this fix. This issue creates so much confution for are users who have synced the team files.

Any update? Any Date?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to Edit my Channel Name and under Files it's still the old name. Is there a way to change this?

• Nina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm currently sitting in a training session for Office 365, and within two minutes of playing with Teams for the first time, I noticed this issue and went to Google looking for a solution. :S

• SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need a fix soon, please! Renaming channels is a constant and not having the SharePoint folder renamed really complicates things.

• Mark Doll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The current behaviour is what I want! It allows one to have shorter folder paths and sensible Channel names at the same time"

That's a different feature, namely setting a "display name". This is a user individual setting.

Here, we want the ability to rename the channel, a function I would expect under "Manager Team->Channels", available to the team owners only. In contrast, setting a "display name" is a function I would expect in the favorites' context menu, available to all team members.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? The current behaviour is what I want! It allows one to have shorter folder paths and sensible Channel names at the same time. And it means links with existing file paths work after renaming.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base