How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Scalable UI

It would be great to have the Teams desktop app UI to be manually scalable. The default scaling should be set based on the system settings for scaling, but the UI should be scalable independent of this.

(should I mention Slack allows zoom in/out with Ctrl+ + and Ctrl+- key combinations and Ctrl+0 restores default setting)

I find the desktop UI too small for my eyes. I do have scaling enabled on my Windows computer, and other apps and programs work well, but the Teams client bothers me being too small.

116 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lenard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of habit I keep trying to use Ctl + scroll wheel on the mouse to resize everything in the Teams Windows application. Works everywhere else! (E.g. Word, Excel, Visual Studio, and every browser known to humankind.) It would be really nice if it worked in Teams too. Both chat and the Wiki tab could use this treatment.

• Lei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my machine, the latest version 1.0.00.13152 (64-bit), updated on 5/12/17 fixed the issue. Ctrl + and - is still nice to have. But at least I can continue using Team without feeling too bad now.

• Mark Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here, teams font is now way to big, the amount I get on screen is significantly less - No issues with any other application. I use teams daily and currently have over 20 active teams, this is extremely annoying and affecting productivity

• Lei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have same problem as Scott. Suddenly everything is much bigger this week, which makes Team window client not useful at all. Looking at the ugly big font discourages me from keep using Team.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mine just changed today so everything is much bigger, but I want to change it back. It's too big for my setup. Is this a setting somewhere that I can revert?

• adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams needs to adhere to the system dpi scaling in settings and doesn't

• Luke Sipple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes... the UI needs some attention. I have a 1440 display and when I'm in a channel the actual chat is all wrapped to use about 1/3 of the available space.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugly low density per screen. UI is shit. Pushing my company to stay with Slack this is horrible.

• Brian Tyszka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't hide chat and teams recent list when the window gets smaller. Or at least have an option for this. I find it way more useful to see the list of recent messages opposed to 1 current conversation.

• Bas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. After the last update the scaling is broken. It seems to overcompensate. On my Surface the scaling is set to 200% on my external monitor it is set to 100%. Now the desktop app opens fine on the Surface display but gets reduced to 50% (instead of 100%) on the external display. Restarting doesn't help, not even if the app starts on the external display. I haven't found a workaround.

• PR78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My desktop client on Windows 10 loses the scaling sometimes reverting to 100% scaling while the OS is configured for 200%. I have to force-quit Teams and re-launch from scratch.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that scaling was working for me on my Surface with external monitors until the latest update, now I see the issue where it's too large on my external monitors.

• Jace Copier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have both problems depending which monitor is my "Default" monitor. When Setting my work monitor to default, Microsoft Teams is extremely tiny on my Surface Book. When setting my Surface Book as the default monitor, Microsoft Teams is extremely large on my work monitor.

This is extremely frustrating as I frequently move windows around depending on what I am trying to do. Please allow Microsoft Teams to scale properly so I can enjoy this application on any monitor I am using.

• John Scott Tynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto. When I have the Teams Windows PC app snapped to the left or right, the sidebar covers the main area, making it unusable, and I can't make it go away without expanding the window and then snapping it again.

• Jane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the opposite scaling problem, it is too big. I have a Surface pro 4, with an external monitor attached. When the application is on the Surface screen (2736x1824) the size is ok (a bit small maybe, but ok), but if I move it to the external monitor (1920x1080) it is way too big because it keeps the same number of pixels.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When resizing the app/browser window to smaller width, the user interface should adapt. The elements on the left side should collapse under a hamburger button (or some sidebar menu) so that the main page will not be cut-off.

Feedback and Knowledge Base