How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

up arrow to edit last message

pressing the up arrow when the custor is in the compose box, it will edit the user's last message.

721 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Florent Verdonck shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

This is completed.

The up arrow to edit the last message only works in chat or specific reply chains.

This does not work in the command box.

If you feel this isn’t working correctly or should work differently please let us know by contacting TeamsML@microsoft.com

Thank you!
    -Warren

54 comments

Comments are closed
    • Jo Rhett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been working for some time. Shouldn't this be marked as complete?

• Mark Burdick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another thought would be to have a way to cancel the edit. once in edit mode, regardless of if you make a change, the only options are to delete or send, which then shows the message as edited even if you made no changes.

You're probably sick of it, but this is pretty streamlined in Slack and exactly how I'd love for it to function in Teams.

1. Up arrow to edit
      2. Choices:
      a. Edit the message and hit enter to submit; focus is returned to main chat input.
      b. Delete all message text and hit enter to submit, message is deleted after a prompt asking if that's the intention. This is done in place of a 'delete' button.
      c. Cancel button to cancel the edit, which requires no mouse input as it can be tabbed to (I just checked and you do have the tabbing in Teams, yay!).

Thanks for the status update, by the way! I'd love to see an update on the compact chat as well =).

• techsage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this be added to the compose message textbox in the Teams area of the app? It currently only functions in Chats.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It does work, but after editing when you press enter it doesn't return to the text box so you can continue your conversation. Just a better approach for the next iteration.

• Clayton Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like this works in the context of a single thread that isn't collapsed. Direct chat works almost without fail. If I reply to a single thread in a channel AND my last message is visible, then it also seems to work without issue. From the message box, I haven't been able to use this at all in a channel, and though it works from a specific thread it appears that long collapsed threads are also not working.

Still, the progress is already super useful. Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Mark Burdick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echo on the last comments =). But very happy I can now use the up arrow to quick-edit my last message. Fix those things and I'd be extra very happy.

Thanks!

• Jonathon Wyza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo these as well. Up Arrow should go to your last message sent regardless of the number of messages sent by others in the interim. It should also return you back to the input box for continued typing.

Thanks for the continued efforts on this, it's a welcomed enhancement that brings teams closer in parity to similar offerings.

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo the comments of Andreas and Daniel Dusek . Its good that this is now (partially) working but this shouldn't stop working just because someone has replied to your last message.

Hi guys!

I can now hit arrow-up on Teams shout box (the one with "Type a new message" placeholder) and that brings the last send message into "edit mode".
      Many thanks :)

Still... when one changes a submitted message and hits Enter the focus won't return to the chat input box.
      And that issue kinda defeats the whole ideia of having such a "key up to modify last message" functionality. If i am forced to click on chat box again to regain focus and continue to type my words.

In my opinion, it would be better to have a full keyboard handling cycle, something like: when focus is on chat box, hit arrow up to bring last sent message edit mode, change some strings, hit enter to update it and regain chat box focus - happily keep typing new messages.
      Hope it was clear...

Do you guys agree or am I missing something?

Best.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came here to say exactly what Daniel just said. Those two shortcomings are extremely aggravating.

• Daniel Dušek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for adding part of the functionality already, but I am afraid there are still some issues remaining:

1. After submitting edited message, text box loses focus and you have to click the text box again to continue messaging.

2. If your message is not the most recent one in conversation (e.g. someone already managed to post another message), you can not enter edit mode via arrow up.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides not working in channels a second problem is when exiting edit mode the compose box does not get focus. Also it only works when your message was the last one, I think it should still work if you get a reply.

Not sure why we are discussing this isn't it natural behavior , do MicroSoft has better purpose for up_arrow button ?

• techsage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following up on my previous message, it looks like it was only added in Chat so far, but hopefully it will be added in the Teams part of messaging soon as well.

In addition to the Up arrow, it could be also double click anywhere in the area occupied by the posted message. I see also useful to press Up multiple times go back through the history of the messages posted and edit them.
      Another shortcut like Ctrl+Up could load a posted message not to edit it, but to add it again.

• Harrison Heck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By almost done, do you mean it will be released this year? For such a small feature, it sure is taking a long time.

In both Skype and Slack, pressing the 'up' arrow key opened editing of your submitted chat. Consider mirroring this feature. In Teams a user is forced to go through far more interaction to make small edits.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base