How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Code snippets

I would like code snippets with highlighting based on code language. And for snippets longer than X lines, a "show more" button (like slack)

3,044 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nils Ree shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

128 comments

Comments are closed
    • Tim Friesen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least with the new markdown support you can at least post code properly although not highlighted per language.

To add an inline block of code, start and end the block of text you want to add with an `
      To add a multi-line block of code, preface your text with ``` and then paste it into your compose box

• Jessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give me options for pasting special text into a the textfield. DO NOT force my text into some special uneditable box. At least give options like in Microsoft Word to "keep formatting" or "match text"

• Caleb Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that teams already supports pasting formatted content. This means you can use a service like http://hilite.me/ to create formatted code and copy and paste that into your channel.

It's certainly not an elegant solution, but it is a workaround until this is implemented.

• Ruben Macias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This is a must for development teams. Slack has it and it works really well. This needs to be in Teams as well.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a neccessity for development teams like ours. Even without syntax highlighting this feature would be useful.

• T Lageson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HipChat and Slack both have this integration. Seems like a basic function in order for tech companies to want to use this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essentially a deal breaker for us to move away from Slack. We like the integration with Skype for Business and Sharepoint provided by Teams but without being able to discuss source code in a better way we can't see us ditching Slack

• Elric Hindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Essential in my team as we work in software development.
      I have not seen good integration with other software for this feature, even common languages missing so it would be handy to have this work as a plugin of sorts that can be modified to suit the need of the organisation.

• Porohnavec József commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 snippets which could be easily listed or found as a kind of special content/attachment are a must, even with markdown support implemented (a simple markdown cannot be semi-hidden if too long, or searched as an entity)

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shocked that this isn't here on day one. Teams doesn't even get to the starting line in our place without this

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - perhaps by integrating visual studio code. We need to have discussions over stack traces and code before we can migrate from slack

Feedback and Knowledge Base