How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Code snippets

I would like code snippets with highlighting based on code language. And for snippets longer than X lines, a "show more" button (like slack)

3,043 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nils Ree shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

128 comments

Comments are closed
  • David Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack does this extremely well. Even giving you a list of languages that it can format to, changing colors and making it easier to read.

• Brendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tacking onto Harrison Heck's comment, Teams really is a dumpster fire from everything I've seen on here.

• Harrison Heck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news? Seems like Teams is unfortunately one of the most mishandled products I've seen from Microsoft. Poor communication, untimely feature releases, missing basic features.

Slack understood developers, Microsoft doesn't seem to.

I'd love to go back to Slack, but unfortunately the company won't pay for it. Teams really is a pain to use.

• Mark Noble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, I can copy code with coloring from Visual Studio Code into Teams and the coloring is copied.

When I copy code from Visual Studio 2017 into Teams it loses the coloring.

I'd like code copied from VS 2017 to retain it's code coloring when pasted into Teams.

• Barrie Sercombe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've just purchase 365 Premium and would love to drop Slack, but until Yammer can do Code Snippets we will have to wait.
    Does anyone have any idea of when this will happen? "Just longer than Spring" is not a valid nor helpful answer to what everyone is wanting

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include code snippits on mouse over of options like Quote or Code to help people who do not remember them.

• Brian Sørensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spring is coming to an end -please tell me that this feature is ready now - MS Teams has soon worn out our patience...

• Nathan Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be great if this feature could include a code execution feature: like codefights, plunker, stackoverflow, and other various sites.

• Zane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we discuss Slack vs teams comparison this topic comes up every time. Check out how Slack implemented this capability as they did it exactly as it should be done.

• Alexandre McKinnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a good experience with medium to large code snippets is pretty important.

Slack's experience is a good start, even if I don't care too much about the syntax highlight and language detection.

• Samuel Dighan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clarifying here, I want automatic syntax highlighting and formatting:
    1. mono-spaced font suited to programming (zero distinct from capital letter 'o', one distinct from lower case 'L', etc)
    2. line numbers
    And the ability to easily copy the code,, and only the code, as text (no formatting, message headers, etc). Skype for business is exceedingly terrible at this. I loathe it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow it is working but I didn't notice because with the italian mac keyboard is ``` obtained with alt + 9 and not ``` pressing alt + \ In slack you can use both, in teams only the alt + 9 works :)

• Joseph P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They added limited support for ``` markdown
    You cannot define the language, like
    And it doesn't work on copy paste, you need to type " ``` " manually for it to start a code block :(
    This should be a must really
    ```javascript
    var http = require('http');

http.createServer(function (request, response) {
    response.writeHead(200, {
    'Content-Type': 'text/plain',
    'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' : '*'
    });
    response.end('Hello World\n');
    }).listen(1337);
    ```

• Dan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see code highlighting. As others have mentioned leveraging VSCode could be nice

Feedback and Knowledge Base