How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Code snippets

I would like code snippets with highlighting based on code language. And for snippets longer than X lines, a "show more" button (like slack)

3,043 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nils Ree shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

128 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to move devs from slack to teams. This is our biggest pain point. Please publish soon! Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope this feature is getting rolled out, soon. Because we're currently evaluating a new team collab solutions and this thing is a real showstopper. Every other system already has it. Reminds me of Skype and End-To-End security. Microsoft is always late in suhc things.

• Gingonic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, this is kind of a must have for dev teams. Isn't it starting to get a bit ridiculous to be waiting 1,5 years for the delivery of a feature that is integrated in every major platform out there?

• Rob D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'd be great to see if there are any updates on this, or an estimated time of delivery.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also understand ppl not caring about code snippets below. however, this is a critical feature for dev teams.

• Ryan Mendoza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that the team is working on this, but is there a target date for release on this? I want to echo what everyone else is saying below... this is critical.

• Allen Shiels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about getting inline code snippets working before worrying about highlighting based on language? Using single back-ticks seems to work about 10% of the time - really annoying.

Please fix bugs first then worry about feature enhancements

• Chris Ebert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Microsoft Teams quite heavily at a development company. It would be very helpful if teams had better support for code snippets and code syntax highlighting.

• Justin O'Conner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra Teams has a lot of potential, but we're going to need better handling of code within messages very quickly or else we won't be able to invest in Teams as our team communication platform. We've got the following issues:

1. In-line code formatting is handled very poorly. In competitors' products, any text can be easily escaped as code by surrounding it with backticks, e.g. `this is code`. In Teams, this only seems to work the first time in a given message, and even then only when the message is being typed--i.e. I can't go back and surround text with backticks after I've already typed it.

2. Lack of syntax highlighting in code blocks is another large feature miss compared to competitors. In other products, including Microsoft's own TFS Web Portal, I can create a code block with syntax highlighting like so:
    ```csharp
    public void ThisIsCode()
    {
    /* ... */
    }
    ```
    This is possible in Teams, in that it will automatically format the following text into a code block when ``` is typed, but there is no support for syntax highlighting.

3. Unrelated to code snippets or syntax highlighting, but still a grievance of ours: notifications in Teams are kind of dumb. I can have my Teams window focused and be staring straight at a channel, but if a new message comes in, it still alerts me as though I didn't see the message. The activity feed will frequently show messages and alerts I've already seen, because I was looking at them when they came in. This is a huge annoyance. Perhaps the most egregious, the Teams client will not show notifications for any events that occurred while your machine was asleep or otherwise offline from Teams. Being that this is a team-oriented communication app, I would expect to be alerted when activity occurs in my followed channels even if I was offline when it occurred--again, just like the competitors' products.

As I said in the beginning, Teams has a lot of potential. I like a lot of the integrations with other MS products, and some of the "fun" features are really cool. But, until these basic functionality issues are ironed out, it's hard to recommend Teams to anyone and difficult for us to keep using it internally. I'd rather have working formatting and notifications than the ability to create a meme from within Teams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base