How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorized personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

(The request for a Public Announcement channel is complete, since the General channel can be controlled by admins and set to read only)

2,393 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Warren responded  · 

Due to a priority shift this request has slipped to the backlog. I hate to bring bad news. I will continue to provide the feature team your feedback and votes.
Hopefully this will move back up in the queue soon.

-Warren

69 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really important that some "stuff" - like Wiki tab - has control on who can edit and delete!!!

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The settings to block posts to conversations on General channel are an improvement, but that does not address Files or tab content. For all the same reasons it makes since to control posts to General, a team may want to control edits to a Wiki tab.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to create a release channel whenever we use Azure Devops to deploy something new. This channel needs to be read only except for AzDO web hook (admin only). It would be cool if people can show their appreciation using emoticons (similar to Discord!)

• Kathryn Whiteley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A channel owner should be able to control permissions for the channel, including who can post (all members, or only owners?)

*Any* Team should be allowed to have one (or more) read only channels within that Team (not just the org-wide Team).

We totally need this. In big organizations that want to be transparent, it would be very practical to be able to follow a discussion and contribute through the "official channels" (i.e. your leader or representative), but avoid 700 people commenting. Read, and tell your rep what you think. Your rep/leader can post, and you can follow the decision-making process. Please, please, let us have this!

• Danielle Sawyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature exists (to an extent) already.
    Go into Manage Team and then Settings - Under Member Permissions you can set the GENERAL channel in the team to read only except Team Owners.

at least enable this setting via PowerShell. This feature is already working on the "General" channel, so it sould be easy to allow this to other channels too.

• Mikkel Thy Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company need this for management to be able to inform in a org-wide channel, without others being able to reply, just read and have the info!

• John Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen. Again it ties into the difficulties of a allowing "Private Channels". To be perfectly honest, Teams reliance on Sharepoint as it's back-end is severely hampering any ability to develop feature requests into this product.

If you want this product to work in schools (Uk at least) this is an absolute must. You have a Read only for Guests, I can't work out why you would not have a read only version of members. For example a teacher creates a team and wants to give access to students to the files section with read only permissions. The last thing I want to do is explain to teachers the process for making that section read only via sharepoint.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please work on this! I have teams creating documents that want to share a live, read-only version with other teams. We want to do this within Teams, and not go into SharePoint, as our staff doesn't have this level of knowledge around the technology.

• Anthony Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can already be done by changing the permissions of your Team. Go into Manage Team and then Settings. Under Member Permissions you can set the team to be something that only Owners can post in. Doesn't help if you want to single out a particular Channel, but until they release Private Channels where we can change permissions on a channel by channel basis, we are stuck doing it to a whole team.

Make it easier to make read-only-members, so I don't have to do it in SharePoint!

• Vikas Aggarwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for Enterprise Collaboration. Apart from teams working with each other, there are a lot of updates that need to be shared with everyone but can be posted only by a few members.

In addition to Owner and Member, can we provide a Reader user profile? To begin with, this profile will have access to only the Conversation tab as read only. Users of this profile cannot post new messages or reply to older ones. But they can like a message. Rest of the tabs, if any will not be visible to them.

I am sure this can be enhanced a lot. But, even this basic preliminary feature for restricted Reader profile can address a large part of the requirement that I see evolving in the earlier comments on this topic.

I love the Public announcements type channel. Along with this, a CALENDAR that can only be edited by admins.

Example: Vacations

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base