How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorized personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

(The request for a Public Announcement channel is complete, since the General channel can be controlled by admins and set to read only)

2,152 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded  · 

Due to a priority shift this request has slipped to the backlog. I hate to bring bad news. I will continue to provide the feature team your feedback and votes.
    Hopefully this will move back up in the queue soon.

-Warren

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mikkel Thy Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company need this for management to be able to inform in a org-wide channel, without others being able to reply, just read and have the info!

• John Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen. Again it ties into the difficulties of a allowing "Private Channels". To be perfectly honest, Teams reliance on Sharepoint as it's back-end is severely hampering any ability to develop feature requests into this product.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want this product to work in schools (Uk at least) this is an absolute must. You have a Read only for Guests, I can't work out why you would not have a read only version of members. For example a teacher creates a team and wants to give access to students to the files section with read only permissions. The last thing I want to do is explain to teachers the process for making that section read only via sharepoint.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please work on this! I have teams creating documents that want to share a live, read-only version with other teams. We want to do this within Teams, and not go into SharePoint, as our staff doesn't have this level of knowledge around the technology.

• Anthony Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can already be done by changing the permissions of your Team. Go into Manage Team and then Settings. Under Member Permissions you can set the team to be something that only Owners can post in. Doesn't help if you want to single out a particular Channel, but until they release Private Channels where we can change permissions on a channel by channel basis, we are stuck doing it to a whole team.

Make it easier to make read-only-members, so I don't have to do it in SharePoint!

• Vikas Aggarwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for Enterprise Collaboration. Apart from teams working with each other, there are a lot of updates that need to be shared with everyone but can be posted only by a few members.

In addition to Owner and Member, can we provide a Reader user profile? To begin with, this profile will have access to only the Conversation tab as read only. Users of this profile cannot post new messages or reply to older ones. But they can like a message. Rest of the tabs, if any will not be visible to them.

I am sure this can be enhanced a lot. But, even this basic preliminary feature for restricted Reader profile can address a large part of the requirement that I see evolving in the earlier comments on this topic.

I love the Public announcements type channel. Along with this, a CALENDAR that can only be edited by admins.

Example: Vacations

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad to see this item down-prioritized. You (Microsoft) have to understand how important user management is when you have a workforce that isn't 100% technologically fluent. This ends up becoming a Ui and Ux problem. The inability - as an admin or Team owner - to manage how members interact with/on the platform virtually kills the end-user experience. After a few months of unmanaged and chaotic interaction, everything on the platform ends up getting, looking, and feeling cluttered and disorganized. This leads to low adoption and compliance. Eventually, everyone ends up defaulting back to email as the mode of communication and interaction. When this happens I can't help but ask, why did you (Microsoft) even bother in the first place? Priorities, Microsoft. Priorities. Ui and Ux is more important than you seem o know.

• Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful to understand what the changes in priority were to help manage communications to our end users.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! This AND/OR the ability to make it so users can only reply to an existing post by the owner.

• Paul Swaim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a sample of redundancy in the suite of products. Skype, Teams, Yammer, (and now StaffHub?) should be one platform. As should Stream, Video, Delve, which could have views collapse into Teams as addon options.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I've said multiple times, the channel admin should have full control over the permissions granted to users and groups of users.

One of these permissions should be "permission to post". This would allow the admin to mute particular people, or create read-only channels.

Great idea to create a news or internal (private) feed a bit like twitter, but secure?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base