How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

#1 User Request on SharePoint:
Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another just for Microsoft Teams.

#2: Link to Existing SharePoint Sites

Trying to link my Team up to an existing SharePoint site - only seem to be able to link to individual folders rather than the whole document library, meaning that if i want all folders on the Team i need to create multiple tabs to get this. Would be good to link to a whole document library rather than one folder.

#3: Other Asks

Post Team chat to SP microfeed
Connect team sites onenote if available (replace default notes)
Add links to existing document libraries (replace default files)
Add links to existing lists
Add support for SharePoint taxonomy and managed metadata, SharePoint views etc :D

1,167 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Isaac Chua shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

So, I have got an update for you.

We have pulled this out of “planned” and backwards to “under review” because the SharePoint team is working on a feature to allow you to convert an existing SharePoint site into a Modern Group. And as you likely already know, once it is a Modern Group, it can be easily converted into a team in Teams.

I’m trying to get a status update from the SharePoint team on this feature — once I have it, I’ll let you know.

Thanks for your patience and hope everyone is enjoying their August.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

193 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff Messer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any more recent updates on this? We have a SharePoint 2013 Foundation server set up for our small team, and while it's extremely important to us as our main process and document library, it's also a little wasteful to have two dedicated servers for us to manage (Prod and QA). If there was a clear path to migrate that site to a O365 Sharepoint or Teams site, I think we'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Mukla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I understand this is possible to do for SharePoint online site when you create a new team. There is a link called "Looks like you're an admin of a group. You can add Microsoft Teams functionality without changing the existing group. Yes, add Microsoft Teams functionality" and when you click it you will see the list of existing SharePoint groups.
        In this case Teams doesn't create a new ShP site, but attaches to the one associated with the group.

• Amo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried adding only one folder from existing SharePoint group but end up with the whole library... Help!

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? My SharePoint sites and Teams sites sprawl is getting out of hand. I'm almost about to boycott O365 all together because there are so many disconnects now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this topic. We are don't like the idea to have out file repositorys split between SharePoint and Teams. Makes no sense

• Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also need to bring in our existing infrastructure (Sharepoint sites) into Teams for this to work in our organization. Creating new Teams with its own site works only for a limited amount of cases.

• Bob McKeating commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its now a month since the last post is there an update or reference to the sharepoint uservoice planner item?

• Tomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John, I think she means 'modern site' and 'O365 group', she just mixed it up a bit. When you create a O365 group, modern site is created automatically. Not really know what Suphatra means with 'it can be easily converted into a team in Teams' because it can't (well it can but not easily and without API :)), but may be she will clarify.

• JohnTM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra, I don't know what is meant by a Modern Group (I can't find any information on it anywhere) but this review doesn't look like it's going to provide the flexibility needed for Teams to be used in existing environments. E.g. Link a Channel to a specific folder.

If I can't bring along my existing infrastructure, Teams remains unusable...

• David Harbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have we thought about users that already have both.

E.g:

we have a SharePoint Team Site we use per our customer.

In using Teams we now have another O365 Group per customer.

In a perfect world I would like to move from the new O365 Group back to real SharePoint Team Site without; losing files, conversations history, Teams setup (tabs), O365 Group email address.

Basic intelligent merge where during merge process I can choose what is primary of each O365 feature (e.g SharePoint Team Site or the Office 365 Group site under Team). Then anywhere there are config such as email I can elect which to keep or keep multiple. Then when comes to content merge, replace, add into folders, etc.

Thanks
        David

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any update on planned? its now over 4 months since this item was marked planned.

Hi Suphatra, are you considering working on this soon? We like Teams a lot but we're really getting problems with our data structure because its not linked to our originary sharepoint site.

Kind regards
        Charline

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given last post on this was June 22 any progress on your discussions with the sharepoint team to firm up the plan?

HI,

As i want Microsoft Teams integration with SharePoint online ,I am trying to access MS teams group in RSS feed web part with the help of "Get a link to the team" URL.

But web-part will raise an error of "Object moved Object moved to here".
        Do you have any solution with respect to this issue.

• Nils commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd very very happy if you could allow us to link to individual folders rather than to entire libaries, i.e. General -> Folder X rather than to General only. That way I can share individual (sub-) folders with others in my team.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base