How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

#1 User Request on SharePoint:
Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another just for Microsoft Teams.

#2: Link to Existing SharePoint Sites

Trying to link my Team up to an existing SharePoint site - only seem to be able to link to individual folders rather than the whole document library, meaning that if i want all folders on the Team i need to create multiple tabs to get this. Would be good to link to a whole document library rather than one folder.

#3: Other Asks

Post Team chat to SP microfeed
Connect team sites onenote if available (replace default notes)
Add links to existing document libraries (replace default files)
Add links to existing lists
Add support for SharePoint taxonomy and managed metadata, SharePoint views etc :D

3,096 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Isaac Chua shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jimi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to do this exercise yesterday and when I discovered that I can only link the root of a SharePoint site to the Teams. I thought I just delete the Teams team. In doing so my owner/admin i.e. me. was removed from the SharePoint site and I and my staff lost access to that SharePoint site with all our client data.

Owner of the site can be re-assigned in exchange. But this type of issue is a risk factor and surely must be fixed?

• AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? This will save a ton of time for many. BTW, someone here offered using Hub Sites as an option to make this work, but you need to be an Admin to attempt this method.

• Skippy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Team, it feels like this should already be a thing, any chance it could be escalated up the list?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One option is create a new team site from MS Team and convert it to Hub site. Connect all existing SP site to this hub site. This way all sites will be under same umbrella as well as MS Team.

• Tim Presland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA please? It's such a simple request and it's killing the user experience for my customers. All that is needed to an OPTION to select an existing sharepoint site when creating the Teams.

• Joseph Werner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be a game changer for Teams and SharePoint in my view as it will support a seamless experience between a well planned, modern SharePoint intranet (i.e. communications sites, hub-sites) and corresponding Teams for departments and/or programs. High praises for both the Teams and SharePoint teams for all the excellent new features in the past few years. Really great work!

• Toby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide an update on this request. It is obviously hot on peoples shopping list for fully migrating to the use of Teams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to know where this stands. If Microsoft wants us to start using Teams then they need to help us migrate from SharePoint teams to Office 365 Teams. The current option to link an Office 365 Team site to SharePoint keeps all of the files in SharePoint. Basically creating two separate place3s for people to go to in order to get their files. What's needed is a way to migrate an entire SharePoint team site into Office 365 Teams so we can delete the SharePoint team site.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.