How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

#1 User Request on SharePoint:
Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another just for Microsoft Teams.

#2: Link to Existing SharePoint Sites

Trying to link my Team up to an existing SharePoint site - only seem to be able to link to individual folders rather than the whole document library, meaning that if i want all folders on the Team i need to create multiple tabs to get this. Would be good to link to a whole document library rather than one folder.

#3: Other Asks

Post Team chat to SP microfeed
Connect team sites onenote if available (replace default notes)
Add links to existing document libraries (replace default files)
Add links to existing lists
Add support for SharePoint taxonomy and managed metadata, SharePoint views etc :D

3,095 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Isaac Chua shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Roberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Angela: also please note that adding a Sharepoint library the way you suggested doesn't allow you to create new folder/document (New button missing, there is only the Upload one) and doesn't allow you to Delete file/folder or the option "view in Sharepoint" is also missing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a new channel it would be great if you could have it use an existing SharePoint site in O365 for posting files and Onenote. This would be preferred to simply adding a link to a site. When creating a team, if you use the same name as an existing SharePoint site, you could use that site. THis would be simiar to how you can create a Team based on a Outlook Group already.

• David McKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one reason I have been very slow to really roll anything out to our users. I have been watching O365 Groups continue to grow, and I think that's where I want to be -- so I introduce Planner to some select users, only to have Teams come out with a hobbled version of Planner built into that, but not available from Groups or the Planner Hub.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with many others, this is not completed as requested. Adding a SharePoint library is not the same as having the Teams part of an existing site; rather it creates another site. This should be an option: Create new site or be part of an existing site.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe most of the people who voted for this, wanted to leverage existing SharePoint rather then creating and maintain new one for Teams

• Sane Nobles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be reopened as the feature that this request is about is not actually available. Like Isaac mentioned below, this request is to link a MS team to an EXISTING sharepoint site not just import/link specific files or SharePoint libraries.

• Isaac Chua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft, you've mistaken what this request is about. Yes, you can add a SharePoint library and I am aware of that feature. But this is about creating a Team on an existing SharePoint site. The current behaviour creates a new SharePoint site collection with its own OneNote and its own Document Library. I am asking to create a new Team upon an existing site that has its own OneNote and Document Library, so that we won't have two library sections (Files and the other one using what you had described), and two OneNote sections (Notes and the other one with the OneNote tab).

Can this be reopened?

• Wolfgang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's good that you can link with an existing sharepoint site. But still when you share files in your team channel it gets stored in the separate Teams Sharepoint site. Would be much better to let the user choose on which Sharepoint site files should be stored. Either in an existing sharepoint site or in a new one that Teams may create. Why would you want to have 2 sharepoint sites...

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this as well. I wanted to add a tab to a SharePoint list or page instead of a document library.

• Niall Cassidy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Post Team chat to SP microfeed." This is vital for teams looking to collaborate in both ways. Teams to SP and SP to Teams.

• James Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Within the conversation stream you can add from OneDrive, other Team sites and _recent sharepoint files_, but not from sharepoint itself (either as a link or otherwise.

When I have a sharepoint library as a tab, it would make sense to be able to navigate to a file within the Sharepoint doc library and add it to the conversation, most usefully as a restricted link to ensure it's the most recent version of the file.

• James Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add the Sharepoint doc libraries to the Team as a tab, but I get the feeling that beyond that Sharepoint and Teams/Groups will stay entirely separate.

You also can't use a sharepoint library file in the conversation stream - that's a big loss for us.

• Shreesha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to at least share files from other libraries.

Not everyone will have the same document organizing structure as their actual teams.

• Shreesha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any document I send gets put into a channel corresponding folder in sharepoint.

It would be great to have the ability to share files from other SharePoint Libraries.

• Jonah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planner has a chat/team function, MS Teams does, sharepoint online does, skype does. I would be nice to have the option to be able to link all these services together so when communicating in one service, it communicates in all the others too.

So, if we have a Marketing Planner group, Marketing Teams group, Marketing Outlook Group, Marketing Skype Group, Marketing SharePoint Online Group. we can link all those together so there aren't 50 different places our users have to go.

We love these apps, just want some unity for ease of use

• Ian Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As E3 customers with pretty much everything in use, it is increasingly difficult to direct our user base on how to use the platform as there is literally 20 different ways to collaborate. I would love to see the aforementioned groups\teams to be integrated into one location that we could then develop our processes and procedures around. Also, Planner desperately needs an app for both desktop and mobile. Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.